News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Bestiary: Print or PDF?

Started by Jake Norwood, July 17, 2002, 11:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Leybourne

The last I heard from Jake (and all things can change), he had a quote back from the printer and it looked promising for a print version.

So, no guarantees but some hope on the horizon for we pdf-haters :-)

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Jürgen Mayer

Sounds good.

Quote from: Jürgen MayerAs a customer, I haven't bought a pdf yet [...] and I don't know if I'll ever do.
As a side note: I did it. I'm a pdf buyer now. (Violence Future made me do it)
Jürgen Mayer
Disaster Machine Productions
http://disastermachine.com

Delta1

I would prefer a book, but if PDF is the only option.  The I would like the option of obtaining it on CD.  You could then add in optional extras similar to those on the webpage.

Thirsty Viking

Quote from: BrianL

I'm sure it's far too little an amount to be of an use whatsoever, but for what it's worth I would be prepared to pay in advance of printing for each book at it comes out. That way you know for sure that you'll sell two copies (me and your mother *grin*) and you already have the money against the print cost.

I too would pay cover price upfront to you for a signed copy after it printed.  I don't know how shipping cost works for you as opposed to the cut in price you'd have to take through typical channels.  I suppose you could hit me for a shipping charge.     I don't know how many direct sales you'd have to make in order for this approach to cover your print costs....   the side effect of this would be less sales in stores,  and thus less eagerness on the part of store owners to carry your product....   but then again,  as we start playing in store...  and demo'ing....   running gladiator leagues...   this would cause more buzzz....   everything has tradeoffs   .....    I'm in the print camp...

Before i buy it though,  it would be nice to see 5 creatures, and be told how many i would get... etc...
Nil_Spartan@I_Hate_Hotmail_Spam.Com
If you care to reply,  the needed change
should be obvious.

John Doerter   Nashville TN

Thirsty Viking

Quote from: ValamirThat's not a bad idea Brian.  ALOT of wargame companies (GMT and Columbia especially) have an extensive preorder plan.
Also, alot of these companies have an "autoship" policy (including Avalanche).  You as the customer agree to buy every game they make (or every game from a certain line), and as soon as a new one is released it gets shipped to you at a nice discount (auto ship people are automatically considered on the preorder list too).
It ships when X number of preorders are recieved and the book actually goes to press, in the meantime enjoy this pdf download while you wait.

Great followup,   but i'd do a limited PDF preview for free  5-7 page excerpt,   then a more substancial pdf for the preorders (no more than 20% of book).

This way  piracy of the entire book doesn't become an issue prepress.

All this is only theory of course....  I've never published.
should be obvious.

Jake Norwood

Speaking of the Bestiary...

I need a few volenteers to go through the sucker, see which monsters are way cool, what should be added, and how they all play out.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: Jake NorwoodI need a few volenteers to go through the sucker, see which monsters are way cool, what should be added, and how they all play out.

I'll do it... ;-)

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Thirsty Viking

Quote from: Jake NorwoodSpeaking of the Bestiary...

I need a few volenteers to go through the sucker, see which monsters are way cool, what should be added, and how they all play out.

Jake

Just give me your url ....  would be nice to have some beasties  for the Gladiators to Fight.

John
should be obvious.

Scotty

Quote from: Jake NorwoodSpeaking of the Bestiary...

Jake

I'm still rather new here, but I would love the opportunity to help.
http://www.protoreality.com/myria" >The World of Myria
An alternate online gaming world for The Riddle of Steel

Mokkurkalfe

I'll help, if I'm needed. I'd love to go through the beasties.
Besides, it isn't exactly work to test tRoS supplements.
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

svenlein

I'd take a look too, I'm often good at spotting errors too, cuz im a slow reader.

Silanthous

I'll look into it also if you want Jake, also, i would hate a .pdf format for any large suppliments, i am running on a cable modem and have over 600megs of ram, and chapter 6 alone makes me groan, the download time and the lag when reading through on a comp screen. i would prefer book form for any and all 100 or more page suppliments. also, when does sorcery and the fey come out? thats the one that intrests me the most, seeing as i like the magic so much.
Silanthous Silverbreeze, AKA Robert Zoccoli. Archmage of high Order.

Unsane

I don't know if it has been brought up (or, indeed, if it is included in the book), but it would be cool to see stats for baresarks (or berzerkers).
No.

Unsane

I don't know if it has been brought up (or, indeed, if it is included in the book), but it would be cool to see stats for baresarks (or berzerkers).
No.

Brian Leybourne

It would be easy enough to put a sample Beserker in the warriors/militia section of the NPC chapter of the book, I'll see about that in the next draft. In a system like tRoS I don't see your average beserker lasting too long though.. nasty wounds and no magical healing...

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com