News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

Started by Judd, March 04, 2009, 12:26:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judd

I am late to the party, having just finished it tonight but man-oh-man is it a Sorcerer setting.

The Sorcerers and their demons are pretty clearly spelled out.

The demons are the harpy, the unicorn and the red bull.

The sorcerers are the lady in charge of the circus whose name escapes me, the magician and king haggard, perhaps prince lir.

This made me want to Sorcerer-i-fy a kind of modern myth setting with mythological beasties looming large in today's world, still hungry with dark old school fairy tale juice dripping from their claws and teeth, rending into today.

Neat stuff.

M. J. Young

Quote from: Paka on March 04, 2009, 12:26:16 AMThis made me want to Sorcerer-i-fy a kind of modern myth setting with mythological beasties looming large in today's world, still hungry with dark old school fairy tale juice dripping from their claws and teeth, rending into today.
I just finished a two-books-in-one entitled Jack of Kinrowan, by Charles de Lint, which might inspire you.

De Lint's premise is that the creatures of Faerie hitched rides on the ships that brought settlers to the New World, and they've been living here ever since, but most people just can't see them.  The primary heroes in the stories are humans who get sucked into the faerie world that co-exists with Ottawa without losing touch with their "real" lives.

The way he handles these issues might be helpful for you.

--M. J. Young

LandonSuffered

Judd --

I'm there with you...and Beagle's book is definitely darker and more shadowy than the film.

Personally, I'd call the Bull the demon of King Haggard...though Lir might have some latent ability (seeming to wrestle with control of the Unicorn).

Mommy Fortuna is the name of the circus hag.

Jonathan