News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Fantasy map download

Started by Matt Snyder, July 23, 2002, 12:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Snyder

Hey, folks, just thought I'd share a fun little map I worked up last week after reading the setting section in Sorcerer & Sword recently. I plan on using it in an upcoming campaign (though very likely not a Sorcerer game).

Anyway, I thought I'd offer it up to anyone looking for a groovy map, particularly for a good ol' Sword and Sorcerer session or more. The map isn't 100% complete. It needs a couple mor details like rivers, but it works. I'll update it later.

Fantasy Map

This map is brought to you today by the letter Y. God! I'mobsessed with it -- nearly every name has a Y. Although, in my defense, most of the names are from my handy-dandy Flash name generator, which is based on people and place names from the Illiad. Check that generator out at my "fun" homepage: http://dragons.carlisle.ia.us/

Eh. So it goes. Now back to my regularly scheduled layout of octaNe. It's coming together, finally![/url]
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

Paul Czege

Hey Matt,

Really nice. My recent intensive experience with mapmaking has made me realize just how painstaking it can be to produce a nice result. What font did you use for the labels?

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Matt Snyder

Quote from: Paul CzegeHey Matt,

Really nice. My recent intensive experience with mapmaking has made me realize just how painstaking it can be to produce a nice result. What font did you use for the labels?

Paul

Thanks, Paul. Yeah, I've pieced this one together after several scans and other tinkering. More to do yet, but it's looking presentable.

The names are set in a font called  Omnia. Omnia is an Adobe font. It's an uncial, and there are probably many similar faces available. American Uncial is another fairly common and similar font.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

--Yogi Berra

Clay

Matt,

That map rocks.  It convinces me that I need to play more with map making.

Clay
Clay Dowling
RPG-Campaign.com - Online Campaign Planning and Management

Matt Snyder

I hear you, Clay. It's a whole lotta fun to do, and it doesn't require one to be a stupendous artist. I am anything but an illustrator, but a couple of my maps look good enough (more than a little tweaking in Photoshop doesn't hurt, though).

Here's another one I worked up a while ago. I shared this in a post recently:

Chrysalis Map

This was for a setting I had been working on -- sort of a far-future earth science fantasy thing. I have considered "re-doing" this one as a Sorcerer supplement. You know, after I get the Naval Observatory to change  to 30 hour days.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

--Yogi Berra