News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Budget, Session Length, and Fan Mail

Started by Sindyr, March 19, 2009, 08:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wordmaker

I haven't had a chance to get a game of PTA going yet, but I can imagine that a lot of the people in my regular group might end up asking the same questions as the OP here. I'm currently trying to spread the word that there's a huge difference between wanting both success and failure to be fun and interesting, and wanting the PCs to never fail.

I'd be interested in hearing about how Sandyr's game went when it's been played. There are some people in my group who I know simply would not enjoy the kind of experience PTA offers, and that's fine. No system can be all games to all gamers. I think people who look at the rules in a game and start working out the best strategies to use with those rules are really not the kind of people who'll get PTA at first, and they may not even be the kind of people at whom PTA is aimed.

newsalor

One of my players had this idea that he would pick the exact opposites of what he wanted to achieve. If his screen presense was low, then he'd have at least 50/50 chance of getting his way and if there were others involved to coax the producer into spending budged, more power to him.

When the guy told us this idea, he was clearly proud of it and was expecting to get respect. Instead I told him that while optimizing and/or "braking" a game would be cool with some games, in this game it's childishly easy and beside the point. The rest of us looked at him with sad eyes and that was it, no more misplaced gamism from this player and we had a great season. The most memorable scenes were from the episode in which his character was the spotlite character!

I also had this Mountain Witch game a while back, where the same player again started the same thing. This time it was with the trust mechanics. This time, however, another player answered to the call and the two of them started this disruptive game of one-upmanship which for me destroyed the session. I had to use some harsh words to get back to TMW.

Now I realize that I should have been more clear in the beginning outlining what the game was about and should have used more time to get everyone on the same page. The difference between the two sessions was that, in the PTA case all but one players were tuned to the narrativism of the game, but in TMW, the disruptive player had someone to play with.
Olli Kantola

Sindyr

Quote from: newsalor on April 12, 2009, 01:06:18 PM
When the guy told us this idea, he was clearly proud of it and was expecting to get respect. Instead I told him that while optimizing and/or "braking" a game would be cool with some games, in this game it's childishly easy and beside the point. The rest of us looked at him with sad eyes and that was it, no more misplaced gamism from this player and we had a great season. The most memorable scenes were from the episode in which his character was the spotlite character!

I feel very bad for the person you guys shamed.  That sounds terribly abusive.  Poor guy.  You sort of buried the point you were trying to make with a tale of using peer pressure to coerce someone into behaving according to the group will.  Horrible.

On another note, we have played two pilot episodes, which I will post about in a new thread.
-Sindyr

newsalor

Sindyr,

My god, you must have been there or something judging by the way, you fling accusations about me abusing my friends? WTF?

After carefully trying to explaing what this game is about, I said that for me, that's not what this game is about, even if it's totally cool in other games. Should I have lied and given him positive feedback? Perhaps massaged his ego with some babytalk instead of the direct style that he himself advocates?

I'm not judging you, your group or how you communicate with your friends, because I don't know what's the deal with you and your friends and it's not my place to know or judge. I don't take kindly to personal attacks as a responce to help offered, so there is no point in me trying to emphatize with you situation or offer any thoughts on this or any game.

Have a good life,
Olli Kantola

Sindyr

Just posting my honest reaction to it, all very IMO and YMMV.  I think my response is as valid and acceptable as the events and behaviours you spoke of.
-Sindyr

Matt Wilson

Quote from: Sindyr on April 17, 2009, 07:14:21 PM
Just posting my honest reaction to it, all very IMO and YMMV.  I think my response is as valid and acceptable as the events and behaviours you spoke of.

Let's keep those reactions to yourself around here from now on, okay? I'm sure there are plenty of character judging forums out there, but this isn't one.

Sindyr

Sounds great - and in your capacity as Mod, can you also ask people to keep their successful uses of peer pressure to encourage conformity off this forum as well?  I would really appreciate, as it makes myself and others extremely uncomfortable and is also wholly inappropriate.

Thanks.
-Sindyr

Matt Wilson

I don't even know what that means, but if these others speak up about it, I'm happy to listen.

Sindyr

Quote from: Matt Wilson on April 26, 2009, 03:04:44 PM
I don't even know what that means, but if these others speak up about it, I'm happy to listen.

1) *I* am speaking up about it.  So maybe you don't even need any others
2) Do you *really* not understand any of the words I used?  If not, I would be happy to give you a phone call and go into greater depth, what phone number should I use?

I appreciate your fairness and impartiality, thanks.
-Sindyr

Matt Wilson

I think that's enough victimization for one thread. Let's close this now.

Sindyr

Thanks - let me know if you need anything further on these matters.
-Sindyr