News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Use of Blackjack as Mechanic

Started by amiel, July 11, 2002, 01:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

Hello there, O strengthful monotreme,

And welcome to the Forge! Nice to have you here.

The place to go for etiquette (and some of it is pretty specialized) is the Site Discussion forum, to the announcement thread that stays perpetually at the top of the thread-list there.

That's a good suggestion about the narration, and I agree that everyone having a hand to work with at once seems like the right approach. But it also seems to me that the discussion can't proceed much further without a better idea of the premise (in all senses of the word in my essay) from Tim's point of view.

Best,
Ron

amiel

First off, who's Tim?
Okay, I've thought about this idea some.
Here's what I'm going for. Most goals are accomplished with violence in this game. Also, a PC's morals will come into play.
So, I see overall premise as: Can the person I was help me become the person I want to be?
All PCs will come from a violent past, some even criminal. All PCs will be pushing for some form of redemption...
I'm getting closer.
-Jeremiah J. Davis
"Girl you know I love you. now ya gotta die." ICP

Ron Edwards

Oops, not Tim, Jeremiah. Sorry about that ... so many Forgers.

Anyway, excellent - I'll look forward to the next step.

Best,
Ron

amiel

A couple of notes: Since I started this thread I've decided to use dice, the blackjack thing seemed "gimmicky" on introspection.
There will be a next step to this game, however, don't do much breath holding. My 'student career' takes precedence over my 'game designer' career. Ron, of all people, will probably understand this.
Also, there will be some sim considerations thrown into this game. I think the futre of narr design will be games that feel more like 'traditional' games i.e. Sorcerer and TROS.
Thank you to everyone who involved themselves in this thread.
-Jeremiah J. Davis
"Girl you know I love you. now ya gotta die." ICP