News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Card-based system idea (with picture).

Started by EvilCat, March 29, 2009, 05:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilCat

There's an idea I got while researching D&D4. It's based on impression I got from preview material.

This imaginary (for now) rules-light system has board-gamey combat and cards (like this one) for statblocks. Said cards are used to describe anything: combat statistics for combat entities (monsters), habits, mannerisms and story hooks for NPCs, properties for equipment, and so on... Whether it's important for the entity, it's put onto a card.

For example, the gnoll. Beside this card, there are mini-cards with portraits that refine the concept, such as "berserker gnoll" who flies into rage when full and "rabid gnoll" who infects the enemy on critical hit. A back of the card would have more flavor for the warrior gnolls, about their hierarchy, traditions, place in gnoll society.
Urban gnoll, on the other hand, would have a card with NPC description, not combat statistics. How they talk, where they live and what they do for living, and so on. Mini-cards would modify the idea, presenting "informator gnoll", "streetrat gnoll", "salesgnoll".

My questions are:

• Is there a system like that? Maybe it's already done.
  • Are there similar systems? I would read them for reference.
  • Does this idea look good overall?

zmobie

There is a board game that is a little bit like this called Descent

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/17226

Its a good game, but its a little flavor-light and rules heavy.
There is also a campaign expansion.

Your card looks great though. I'm always looking for a way to do a quick and easy dungeon crawl with little prep and lots of imagination. If you could tailor your game to be more narrative than descent I think you'd have a winner on your hands.

whiteknife

I don't know of other systems, but it does seem like a pretty cool idea.

EvilCat

Wow! Descent looks incredible! Too bad I can't afford it straight away, but maybe I will aim to. I wonder if there is a review site on boardgames where I can read about it.

Thanks for the link and opinions.