News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

CCG - RPG hybrid system

Started by k2lu, May 08, 2009, 01:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whiteknife

Quote from: MacLeod on May 09, 2009, 01:04:46 AM
Sort of like a PnP version of Baten Kaitos. :D

Anyone who makes a PnP Baiten Kaitos can have my money.

But yes, in order for such an idea to work, you'll need a good integration of card game and roleplaying, although I'm confident sucha  thing would be both possible and amazing if pulled off well.

I would suggest not dong art on every card, or on any cards really. That'll suck up money fast, unless you know artists or are one in which case I'd go for it.

Also, have you considered 60 might be a bit much? Even in magic, there's at least 20 land, and many other card games (yu-gi-oh, for example) have less cards, say 40 or even 30. Just saying it might cut back on costs to have smaller decks, although then it might be less satisfying. But if you plan on having people use many duplicate cards, you might think about skipping that step.

Just some thoughts.

MacLeod

You are probably right. Forty cards, common duplicates of 2, unique/special cards at 1. If the attack cards have different accuracy/damage ratings, it would force a more varied bunch of numbers as opposed to a bunch of huge damage dealing cards.
It makes me think of MtG where a 60 card deck is only made out of 15 unique cards... I hate that stuff. That isn't interesting deck building, that is the card game equivalent of min/maxing.
~*/\Matthew Miller/\*~

whiteknife

Having made and played a great deal of card games, I can say that 20 is a satisfying number of unique cards. Any less is a bit lame, and although more isn't bad, it can be logistically difficult.

zmobie

I was at one time juggling the idea around of a fantasy / battle / dungeon CCG. I hope you get a long way with yours because it is definitely something I would play.

One of the ideas I was messing with when I was still tossing ideas around was that damage was a fixed number, and every swing was a hit. So, every turn each character does X damage to something no matter what. The variation came with the cards. You obviously tried to increase that amount of damage, and whatever you were fighting was trying to decrease it. The other thing that made it interesting was there was sort of a paper-rock-scissors quality to the different attack types, so you knew if you were a warrior attacking a ghost with an axe, it was going to be completely useless and you would have to have a wizard cast a spell on you to be effective. I know you probably thought of some of this stuff already, but it couldn't hurt to share.

Also, I had the idea of each character class having a different mechanic for playing cards. For instance, the rogue used a poker-hand mechanic where if he had a poker hand, he could play cards from that hand. The wizard had a sort of glyph mechanic where you had to put cards down on the table in front of you in certain shapes required by the spell you were trying to cast. The warrior had different stances that he played cards from. A card played from the defensive stance would buff armor or whatever.

Keep working on your game and finish it so I can play!

MacLeod

I had a neat little idea...
Cards have 3 keywords. For instance, Lunge would have Pierce/Aggressive/Extended.
Basic Cards have 2 Chain Keywords. Advanced Cards have 1 Chain Keyword.
Basically, once you play a card you can chain play a card that has at least one Keyword belonging to the original card's Chain Keywords.

Normally you can only play one card per Round thus pre-planning chains is very important but difficult if you can only have 2 duplicates of particular cards. Chaining applies to everything, even Mishap and Magic cards.
~*/\Matthew Miller/\*~