News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[mistic] tabletop rpg, gage question.

Started by EllePepper, May 11, 2009, 01:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EllePepper

Hi, it's elle, back from the dead.

My specific question is this...

I am using a modified Double-gage system for most players.  A Humanity gage for those who are dual natured (lycan human/lycan shift is controlled by this.) and a trauma gage.  my problem is this, if I have a human (mortal) character, is there a trick I can use to keep them from getting trounced all the time.  The gage has a flaw in that the humanity gage has no effect on a human... so how do I level the playing field?

Vulpinoid

What are the benefits/penalties to each side of the gauge?

Presumably, if you've got a trauma gauge, then one side of this gauge is a calm collected mind and healthy body, while the other side is shifted from this state by mental anguish, physical pain or physiological damage. Are there any benefits from straying toward the unsettled end of this gauge? Perhaps character's lose their rationality and lash out instinctively once they start to approach this end. The fight/flight nature becomes stronger. They revert to the survivals mechanisms that have become a part of their psyche. Some might develop a hyper awareness when they are stressed out, some might viciously enter berserk rampages, others might develop instinctive abilities to hide or simply run.

I don't have enough information so far to really hone in on your project, so I'm just throwing you some ideas...

But you've stated that the problem isn't with the trauma gauge, it's with the humanity gauge.

Personally, I like there to be an interplay between things. It's adds a dynamic element that helps to simulate some key concepts, this can really enhance the presentation of theme and agenda within a game.

You've indicated that the humanity gauge controls a lycans ability to shift. Does it control anything else? You've also indicated that humans don't get affected by the humanity gauge (presumably because they are always locked at the human point of this scale).

Does the gauge reflect anything else as a lycan shifts away from the human end on this gauge? Perhaps they become more bestial, and they find it harder to socially interact with regular humans (this is a pretty common theme in werewolf related literature). If this was the case, then humans instantly gain the benefit that they can call on allies for support when confronted by a lycan, if they prepare a scenario in advance, the humans will always have more numbers of their side and they'll be better prepared for such an encounter. They may gain bonuses for teamwork, based on how close they are to the human end of this scale as well.

Perhaps the lycans become less technically inclined as they move away from humanity. The humans are still able to use whatever weapons are available in your setting (silver tipped spears, arrows, guns, etc.) while the more savage lycans become gradually more restricted (no guns, no bows, no spears, eventually being forced to use only their teeth and claws). The humans thus gain an advantage this way.

Both of these concepts are fairly well explored in werewolf lore.

The interplay of the gauges might work in such a way that when a character gradually gets more unsettled according to the trauma gauge, they instantly revert in actions defined by the humanity gauge. Those who become stressed but maintain their humanity will have a stronger tendency to run (even when staying still is the best course of action), while those who become stressed and have a low humanity will have a stronger urge to fight (even when running is the best course of action).

It's these inherent character choices, and instinctive agendas that make roleplaying interesting for me. They just add new twists into the story that might not have been planned, but have certainly added to the drama of the situation. 

The next thing I'd remind you of is the first five letters of the word SUPERnatural.

Why do the lycans have to be balanced against the humans? What kinds of stories are you trying to tell about them?

Are they simply another race trying to get by in their daily lives? Are they trying to hide from humanity at large? If so, why?

That will probably give you the answer to the other side of your gauge...

Is it a game about savage conflict? If so, do the lycans oppose anyone other than the humans? Who else is in your world, and what forces do they represent?

Just some thoughts and ideas...

V
A.K.A. Michael Wenman
Vulpinoid Studios The Eighth Sea now available for as a pdf for $1.

chronoplasm

Maybe mortal humans get a different gauge? Maybe a heroism gauge or something?