News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Simming

Started by Stacey Lucht, May 15, 2009, 03:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stacey Lucht

Hello, I'm not sure if anyone here remembers me, but I am Stacey Lucht, still President of the IntraGalactic League of Sims.  It's been a few years since I've checked in on things here at Indi-rpgs.

The last time I was here, there was a good discussion about simming and the differences and comparisons between online simming and table-top games.  That topic was locked by moderators for going far off-topic but the link is here for reference use.  The topic started as a recruitment for the league, but turned into a great debate and discussion about simming.

I thought I'd try to start or continue that discussion, not sure if I'm posting this in the right spot, hopefully a moderator can help me out.

Thank you,

P.S.  It's great to be here again! :)
Signed,

Stacey Lucht, President
IntraGalactic League of Sims

JoyWriter

Well it's fine here if you bring some ideas! How's it going setting rules/bylaws across games? Have you come across any big hitches, discoveries? What's exercising your mind and your interest over there that you think we could dig our teeth into too?

Bossy

Please, write some intro about simming since some of us are completely unfamiliar with the word, or even utterly allergic to introducing computers into roleplaying. What about simming? What are current trends? Did you have a narrativist wave like in PnP? Which kind of settings have been up lately?

Because, for now, your post is basically just resurrecting a 5 year-old closed thread.
Cheers.

Vulpinoid

I've read through the initial thread, interesting...

...but it brings up all the same things that I've thought when trying to talk to "fan-fic" writers over the past few years.

There seems to be a general consensus that these stories will follow the paradigm of a specific TV show, but virtually all writers choose to ignore some specific aspect to bring their own story into the existant universe.

Everyone chooses a different aspect to ignore, and in the end you just end up with a bunch of people arguing that their own stories could be made canon in the fictional universe, while everyone else's is a load of excrement. Virtually all of them include a Mary Sue of some type.

The notion of writing in this manner isn't really roleplaying as I understand the term, but a lot of people do consider this to be roleplaying...so it's an interesting diversion. It's even something I'd like to encourage in my Quincunx Setting, to get a few more people involved and to generate a diversity of ideas beyond my own insane ramblings.

For the moment though, there seems to have been a link to a website in the original thread, but now that link leads to a dead page.

For all we know, you're a president of a one person group who doesn't even have a website to display their wares...

I don't relish having the same conversation five years later when most of my issues were addressed then, and Ron was right to close the topic.

Sorry.

V

A.K.A. Michael Wenman
Vulpinoid Studios The Eighth Sea now available for as a pdf for $1.