News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Considering a New Idea

Started by noahtrammell, June 01, 2009, 02:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abkajud

Noclue,
I agree with you about Dogs. Where I don't agree is this: in relation to the Premise of a game, players need to be able to make any and all choices they wish. By Premise I mean the big one, the moral-ethical question that the game asks the group to answer, or at least discuss, through play. Given the Forge definition of Premise, then, it's imperative that, with regard to dream-beasts, transformation, etc., players need the freedom to do whatever they want in relation to the power they could gain from huffing dream-fog.
See what I mean?
Noah, it sounds like we're on exactly the same page. -grin-
Mask of the Emperor rules, admittedly a work in progress - http://abbysgamerbasement.blogspot.com/

noahtrammell

I was considering the actual rules of my game today, and I might add a "Despair" system.  It basically arose from the fact that social skills really have no use if all you're trying to do is survive.  Despair is basically like damage, except that it doesn't just influence, say, physical rolls.  It also branches off into mental and focus rolls and should be roleplayed, too.  However, Traits can purchase Attributes like "Inspiring," and can then be used to dispel Despair.  This'll make things like eloquence or music important because without them, the only way to overcome those penalties will be to use your Powers.  I'll have to come up with guidelines of when Despair comes into play.  Maybe when partymembers die/lose their humanity, that way you'll be depressed and have a monster on your tail.
  Man, I feel sorry for my players.  They may have freedom, Abkajus, but going the "good guy" route is not going to be easy.
"The difference between the right word and the almost-right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug."
-Mark Twain

My Tiny but Growing Blog

Abkajud

Noah,
You might want to check out Polaris for an example of how to do this Despair idea without railroading players, in the manner of Vampire's Humanity system or Call of Cthulhu's Sanity score. Maybe Despair gives players more power, but power that can only be used in certain, antisocial ways?
Mask of the Emperor rules, admittedly a work in progress - http://abbysgamerbasement.blogspot.com/

noahtrammell

Well, I was considering that Despair just accumulates as your situation worsens.  However, today I came up with the idea of a Coping system, where your player has a psychological disorder they use to cope.  If you were anorexic, you could take a Hunger status to remove Despair, but that would come back to bite you later.  As with everything else in the game, you're staving off your inevitable doom.
  However, I'll check out Polaris.  I've heard a lot of good things about it, and I don't want the only option for staying happy to be harming yourself :)
"The difference between the right word and the almost-right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug."
-Mark Twain

My Tiny but Growing Blog

noahtrammell

Actually, could you just give me a quick synopsis of how it works?  I'm leaving town in a couple of days for three weeks, and I don't think I'm going to have time to pick up a copy.

Also, from a combat standpoint, I was trying to think of a way to make Powers much more, um, powerful than Skills.  Since I'm still kinda using PDQ as my inspiration, the difference is that Powers can be used to absorb damage while Skills can't.  While you can still hit an enemy if you have a really high Guns skill, he'll be able to take the hit on one of his Powers, but you can't absorb it with your Guns skill.  In this way, Powers are a combination of Skill and Absorption Traits.
-Mark Twain

My Tiny but Growing Blog

noahtrammell

OK, so I think this game has evolved enough to warrant a place where I can compile my development notes and random stuff I come up with.  I've written a short introduction to the game, and I think I'm going to name it Outbreak.  I hope the short fiction piece I've just published will help everyone to get a clear idea of what the game is about.
  For those who are interested in following the game, the blog is located
here
.  I think I'll just keep discussing the game here at the Forge, and may create new threads to discuss certain questions.  I'll use the blog to keep all my notes organized, so if you want more miscellaneous info, the blog will be the place to look.  If you want to, I can make anyone who asks a contributor on the blog (you'll need a Wordpress account) so you can comment on the posts, but it may just be easier to discuss stuff here. 
  I hope everyone keeps following and critiquing the game.  Everyone's input has really helped the basic concept grow into something I couldn't have created in a vacuum.  I'm leaving for three weeks this Sunday, but I plan on continuing writing, and for two of the weeks I'll have access to a computer that I can use to post anymore progress I make on the blog, or create new threads here at the Forge.  Thanks again!

-Noah
-Mark Twain

My Tiny but Growing Blog