News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[TSoY] Why 11 pool points?

Started by Klaus_Welten, August 25, 2009, 10:38:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus_Welten

I got The World of Near today. It shines so much I had to put on sunglasses to read it.
ANYWAY, I noticed that, on p. 11, it's written that player characters start with 11 points to distribute betwen pools, instead of 10 as in vanilla SS. I'm just curious: what's the reason for this?

Adam Dray

Eero's version goes to eleven. It's just louder than going to ten.

More seriously, I don't know why, but I do know that some game designs avoid even distributions so the players are forced to prioritize something.
Adam Dray / adam@legendary.org
Verge -- cyberpunk role-playing on the brink
FoundryMUSH - indie chat and play at foundry.legendary.org 7777

Eero Tuovinen

Both ten and eleven are uneven with the three Pools, so it's not that.

The real reason is very simply that 11 is traditional for TSoY, while I opted for 10 in SS because it's an easier number to remember in general. I'm sure Clinton had a good reason for 11 originally, perhaps based on whatever statistical math he used to arrive to his numbers, but those reasons are lost in time and should be asked from him. In actual play anything in the 7-12 range works just fine. Perhaps we might imagine that TSoY is naturally slightly more expensive an environment than default SS due to how many ways of spending Pool you have, but the effect should be negligible.

In a nutshell: it's just me being perverse, no deeper reason. You might want to consider any and all other rules stuff in the book in the same light.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.