News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Tragedy, A game of glory and death.

Started by M. Burrell, June 17, 2009, 07:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trick

I just stumbled on an RPG that reminded me of this. It's called 10,000 and it's written in French.

I don't know how successful you'll be with an automatic translator, but here's a summary of how it works.

The RPG is all about playing a Greek hero. Part of character creation is choosing a Fate (le destin). It gives 4 examples: Solitude, Slavery, Folly, and Sickness. It says "The destiny of the hero must be tragic: death seems soft in comparison. You might want to take inspiration from tragedies or Greek myths".

The heroes level up and one-by-one their "skills" gain legendary status. Each time this happens, the player must write out another detail. E.g. "The fate of Euryclée is sickness, the player decides that Euryclée will be inflicted with a disease that will make him weaker and weaker as time progresses.

You start out with 10,000 soldiers. At the end of the game, if you've lost more than half of them, you are doomed to your fate, otherwise you end up in some sort of happy land. There's also "fate dice", but I don't think that's related.