News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Polaris] Rules Question

Started by Quizoid, June 23, 2009, 06:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quizoid

I just wanted to make sure of something.  I'm almost positive I'm doing it right, but I wanted to check.

In a string of phrases... one can only ever go back two steps.  So if people say:

Heart: I eat cheese.
Mistaken: But only if it makes you puke.
Heart: But only if I make it to the bathroom in time.

At this point, no one can only cancel out the fact that the Heart ate Cheese with any phrase.  Is this correct?
"Theory is very important because your theory ultimately determines what you can see." - Albert Einstein

Ben Lehman

That's right. He's a regular cheese-eating fool.

Quizoid

Thanks! 

That's kind of cool, as it really forces people to use words carefully and not But Only If for eternity and then cancel out the whole thing. 

(and, take "only" out of my first message... that was a typo)
"Theory is very important because your theory ultimately determines what you can see." - Albert Einstein

Dan Svensson

But moving to the bathroom happens before you puke and the puking happens immediately as it is spoken. Moving to the bathroom would happen after the puking had occured, thus making the phrase invalid.
Now the Mistaken does not define when it happens but by default it is assumed that anything said happens right away, or?
Indulging in everything is like indulging in nothing.

Quizoid

I don't think things happen as they are said, because they can be cancelled.  Actually, sometimes, after a conflict, we back up and kind of "act out" the scene as it was agreed upon whenever we feel that's necessary. 

Ben Lehman

Quote from: Dan Svensson on November 30, 2009, 07:44:55 AM
But moving to the bathroom happens before you puke and the puking happens immediately as it is spoken. Moving to the bathroom would happen after the puking had occured, thus making the phrase invalid.
Now the Mistaken does not define when it happens but by default it is assumed that anything said happens right away, or?

That's not right. You can attach "riders" to previous actions with "but only if," or "and furthermore."

yrs--
--Ben

Quizoid

Quote from: Dan Svensson on November 30, 2009, 07:44:55 AM

And, the riders can be in the past or future and not always related. 

For instance:

H: I eat cheese.
M: But only if your mother never really loved you.

Dan Svensson

I assumed that they happened directly with certain keyphrases sort of being able to wind back "time" but what really happens is that when you enter conflict nothing discussed in the conflict happens until the conflict is settled and over.

Indulging in everything is like indulging in nothing.