News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Kill Power 19

Started by Luke, July 18, 2009, 12:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance D. Allen

Obviously it's not impossible to conceive that a questionnaire can limit creativity. That's what this whole thread has been conceiving, after all.

But here's the thing.. If it does, they're the wrong questions. Find new ones to ask.

Your second question was even more rhetorical than the first. Where at any point has anyone advocated stopping with a list of standard questions? Absolutely no one is advocating that. You have to ask questions to get people's assumptions on the table so they can be challenged. It's pretty obvious to me that there are a limited range of questions one can start with to begin this process.

The frustrating thing is, I'm pretty sure you know that, and use that, already. So why not just say "these are the questions to ask to start a conversation."? Obviously after the answers have been given, all bets are off on where the conversation goes from there. A list of questions is never an end. It's just a beginning, and some beginnings are better than others.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Luke

Quote from: Lance D. Allen on July 30, 2009, 01:02:42 AMSo why not just say "these are the questions to ask to start a conversation."?

Because a list of well-meaning questions is what got us into this mess in the first place. Seems rather arrogant (and counterproductive) to replace Troy's list of bad questions with my own set of misbegotten assumptions.

Better to keep things organic and foster a community of challenging assumptions and discussion. No one is right. No set of questions is going to make magic.

-L

Ron Edwards

Hey everyone,

Five pages is a lot at this site.

Let me review this thread in exquisite detail and return with a verdict. Not on the topic, necessarily, but on the discussion itself.

It may be that I say, "No trouble, carry on, hugs, thanks," or it may not. Until then, please don't post. A day's break won't hurt anyone. If you find yourself twitching with agony because you want to post to this thread, then write up an actual play topic instead.

Best, Ron