News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Game Design Conference

Started by mjbauer, July 27, 2009, 10:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjbauer

Is there such a conference? Should there be?
mjbauer = Micah J Bauer

Vulpinoid

I've noted that in a few recent conventions around these parts of the world (Australia) there are a few sessions dedicated to the concept of game design, which is certainly a step in the right direction.

But then again, archives show that real-world forums about game design have long been a part of the culture down here...

As in this example

I don't know if a conference specifically about game design could be sustained, personally I think an element of practicality enhances any design...in a hobby like this, that means getting dirty and actually playing.

V
A.K.A. Michael Wenman
Vulpinoid Studios The Eighth Sea now available for as a pdf for $1.

Ron Edwards

This is a forum for doing endeavors, not merely stroking one's chin and wondering about them.

If you think a game design conference would be a good idea, then organize it. In person, on line, whatever you'd like to do. It doesn't matter if the first time, only you and two friends and some other guy shows up. If it's good, and if you document it, and if useful stuff appears from it, more people will show up for the next time.

Best, Ron

mjbauer

Quote from: Ron Edwards on July 29, 2009, 09:11:53 AM
This is a forum for doing endeavors, not merely stroking one's chin and wondering about them.

Sorry for the unnecessary post. I thought this would be the right forum for it.

I'm organizing something (not a conference) right now.
mjbauer = Micah J Bauer

Eero Tuovinen

We do designer conferences here in Finland. Usually once or twice a year. Usually it's rpg design enthusiasts who are the point men, but we've been making a point of including boardgame and computer game designers. It's interesting and rewarding, but also somewhat difficult; many designers don't have the tools to really communicate or benefit from the events, so we don't always quite know what we're supposed to be doing with each other.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.