News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

New RPG idea Frozen Dawn RPG

Started by Alokov, July 19, 2009, 11:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alokov

I will be incorporating all of your suggestions. Thanks. I may also test out a group beleif-duel system by which party members can assist each other in belief duels by jumping in and countering an opponent's argument. I'm a little afraid that this system would make duels too easy, unless the GM made the NPCs ridiculously over-powered or numerous, so I may not try it yet.

Any suggestions on how to avoid this. I like the idea but I'm afraid it would be too unbalancing and having already had to tweak the health system because it was way too unbalanced, I'm a little gun-shy when it comes to including potentially unbalancing mechanics.

Callan S.

Well, is it supposed to be hard? Or is it supposed to bring out character beliefs to the fore?

Though I think it is possible for characters to mechanically overrun all the material you currently have, without showing much character for it. And that makes making material a bit of a chore, since it has poor returns in character expression.

Perhaps the GM could have a (known by everyone) pool of 'make it harder' points per session he can simply add on if he wants to make more pressure at a particular time. But he doesn't have to add them, of course, if the pressure is already sufficient.
Philosopher Gamer
<meaning></meaning>

Alokov

Good point. I may do that although I'm not sure. I think most of those dificulty problems can be fixed by just  tweaking numbers rather than adding a whole new mechanic. But, then again, I suck at tweaking numbers so this might actually be easier. I'd still prefer just to get the stats etc. right in the first place. We'll see. I will be giving one of my players a chance to run the game soon though.

Alokov

Anyone have any suggestions on what numbers I should use? (Number of skilll points at character Generation. Number of feats.  number of hit points, amount of XP granted in different circumstances, number of power points at chargen, number of power points used for a few basic spells?)

I think these are the last things I need to nail down.

Thanks.

Jeff B

Remember, you don't necessarily have to burden yourself with the idea of making this into its own game.  It would make a fine d20 System supplement or campaign idea, for example.  When making a whole new game, I think it's important to understand exactly why a new game system is needed for the idea.  If an existing game system will work, then use that system.

You show a lot of creativity.  I expect you're a pretty good GM in whatever group you game with.  Whether or not you develop this into something that can be sold, keep your notes on it.  You may discover, in some future year, that this is all actually a part of an even greater idea stored within yourself.

Alokov

Good idea. But I have yet to discover a system that I like to run (other than the ones I design that is). Oh, and possibly Houses of the Blooded but I don't even have that book so I don't know enough to convert this to it.

Alokov

Allright, I've got this system down to the last bit of tweaking necessary (I hope). I just need to set an unconsciousness/death threshold, and set the starting number of hit points. As I attempted to do this, however, I discovered that, perhaps, since I was working with such large percentages (because I was using coins rather than dice) the whole system might be unworkable. Can anyone offer some feedback on this? If you think the system is currently unworkable, could you suggest some alternativves to coins? I'm leaning heavily towards a dice pool system, but I can''t figure out what would be a good success threshhold (a.k.a what number would be a success) or what kinds of dice to use. If anyone can offer some suggestions I would appreciate them.

Thanks.

Alokov

IT'S DONE! I'm going to be using a dice pool of d20s. 12+ will be a success. 20s will count as 2 successes. Success levels will be based on number of successes rather than the number on the dice. 1 point in a skill/attribute will equal one die in the pool. The magic system will be based on the system in Monte Cooke's World of Darkness.

Alokov

The Health System:

People fall unconscious at 0 hp and die at -10 hp. They start with d10 hp. Attacks do 1 bp damage per success. 1 point of damage = -1/2 to all chcks.

The -1/2 Modifier: each -1/2 modifier increases the number needed for a succes by 1

For example: 1 -1/2 mod: succes = 13+ instead of 12+