News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Affordable, Professional Illustration

Started by Adam Black, July 31, 2009, 12:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam Black

Hi, all--

I had so much fun illustrating Ron's S/Lay W/Me, that I thought I'd jump in here and let everyone know I'd like to do more.

I'm a professional illustrator (this is, in fact, my Day Job) with fifteen years experience, twelve of those years have been doing RPG work.

My first RPG gig was back around 1997, when John Harper hired me to draw for the 4th Edition Talislanta.  I've also done work for Fantasy Flight Games, Crunch-Waffle (who made some minis out of my art), and some other places that aren't around anymore.  I've also drawn comics (web and print) for KISS for about a year and a half, which was a lot of fun.  Did some concept art for Battle for Wesnoth as well, but had to pull out of that due to a paying gig, unfortunately.

My rates are simple:  $25 per quarter page for black & white/grayscale.  I keep the copyrights to my images, but once you commission them, they're yours to use forever.  I won't sell them to anyone else, but I do like to put them up on websites or make prints out of them.  If you'd like to do the same, I'll be glad to help you prep the artwork.

Now, I'm primarily a black & white artist.  If you want color, we'll need to talk about it a little more.  Most of my coloring work is comic book coloring, to be honest.

My style is fairly old-school.  I dig the old RPGs and comics from the 70s, and that's what my hand likes to draw.  However, I'll do pretty much anything you like...except manga/anime.  Not my thing, I'm afraid.

Here are some reasons why you want to hire me:

1.  I don't miss deadlines.  Not one in fifteen years.  Power outages, hard drive crashes, injuries, family emergencies...they all take a back seat to the Almighty Deadline.  I will give you references upon request if you need proof of this.  Just let me know.

2.  I'm quick.  Very quick.  I can pencil, ink, color and letter a comic page in under seven hours.  There are maybe one or two images in the gallery on my website (see below for links) that took me longer than 2 hours to draw.  Most took an hour or so.

This also makes me your go-to guy when your other artist can't make his deadline.  That is, in fact, what I did for Fantasy Flight--24 last-minute illustrations because another artist dropped out at the last minute.  This was on top of the 24 they'd already commissioned me to do.

3.  I'm professional.  I don't care who you are, I'll treat you like you're Wizards of the Coast.  And, if you don't like it the first time, I'll redraw it until you're happy.  (Just don't do one of those "I'll know it when I see it" things.  That wastes both of our time)

Well, that's quite enough Jibba-Jabba.  Time for artwork!  Keep in mind that almost all these links are NSFW.  I draw a lot of boobs.

My old gallery (lots of old Tal and Blue Planet stuff there)
My blog and my deviantArt account (all the new stuff is here)
My two favorite Kiss comic stories can be found here and here.  (Please note my comic style has changed since then)
My current comic:  Locus.  (This is where the party's at right now)  ;)

And that's that!  Thanks for reading.

Adam Dray

I don't have a project that needs artistry right now but I wanted to say hello, let you know that I think your work is great, and say out loud that your post is awesome. In the future, I will certainly keep you in mind and I will point people in your direction.
Adam Dray / adam@legendary.org
Verge -- cyberpunk role-playing on the brink
FoundryMUSH - indie chat and play at foundry.legendary.org 7777

greyorm

Just wanted to say: I am always in awe of and incredibly jealous of artists who can work (especially as well as you do) that ridiculously fast, I've never been able to manage it myself.
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Ron Edwards

Ed and Adam saved my ass, and more importantly, the possibility that the S/Lay w/Me would even make it to GenCon. It's still a crapshoot but far more likely. Thanks to you guys, and also to Paul Czege and Michael Miller. Professionals all.

Best, Ron

Adam Black

Thanks, everyone! :)  Also:

Ron, you ever need more nekkid monster ladies, you give me a holler.  You have no idea how much fun that gig was for me.