News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

maximum crunchy?

Started by John_Elwood, August 11, 2009, 03:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_Elwood

i know this is not the best place for a question like this but i figured it would have the best chance of getting a usable answer.
i have no real way of playing a tabletop rpg, but after a while i've gotten to the point to where i am in the mood for a game (of the video kind) that has a little but more crunch and rule structure to it then your basic crpg.
i've played the original Pool of Radiance game, but with the old interface i cant use it to well. i am also not able to get running things like the PoR remake and BG (im running linux and wine does not handle them well), even though i am looking for something more turn based then realtime.
so, what kind of crpgs would a rule hungry tabletop player suggest? preferably turn based, i don't want to have to worry about my own dexterity.

---- John

Charlie Gilb

Hi John,

Welcome! The Forge is place for RPG designers to discuss games that they are developing, playtesting, networking, and RPG theory in the context of games that have already been played.

I think a better place to get your question answered would be:

http://forum.rpg.net

Best of luck.

SeeThirty

I haven't seen too many computer games lately with a lot of "tabletop" quality. The one thing that springs to mind is "Anarchy Online", but it's not turn-based. For the most part, there are too many genres out there, and not many of them translate well with the tabletop gamer's history, in my experience. You have different values. Early computer games were almost mirrors of tabletop games, because they were mostly geared at gamers who didn't have groups to play with. My first computer game was "The Eternal Dagger", which was a monochrome turn-based fantasy hack-n-slash game. It was essentially a tabletop game. The only thing the computer provided was the job of the gamemaster, running all the statistics and rolls. "Pool of Radiance" was much flashier by comparison. However, I still miss my first game. Nowadays, games are designed more for visual effect, less intensive strategy. You might want to look at the RTS (Real-Time Strategy) genre. That's probably closely to match what you're after. There may be a few "castle tycoon" type things, as well. Hope this helps in some way.

John_Elwood

Quote from: SeeThirty on August 11, 2009, 05:31:54 PM
Hope this helps in some way.

actually that does help quite a bit. the info you gave is more in line to what i was wanting.