News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Secondhand Destinies, a simple playing card game

Started by pipebomb, August 18, 2009, 02:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pipebomb

Secondhand Destinies (working title)

This game was conceived on the walk home from work and hammered out sat on the floor with a deck of playing cards, scrawling in sharpie on the back of pizza boxes.  I wanted to try and create a system that is really easy to pick up and play when the game for that evening isn't on, and while there's always Wushu, I was looking for something more defined.  Details!

Setting precis

Gritty fantasy, no nonhuman races, powerful church persecutes an underground network of mages cursed with their powers

System precis

Quick and easy system to pick and up play, character gen and conflict resolution determined by playing card draw

Backstory

Years ago people of the world worshipped the Sun, Moon, Earth and Stars.  Some people were touched with the power of their "gods" and developed magical powers.  Then along came the big bad church and, threatened at the idea of magic users began to persecute them and hunt them underground.  They did a bloody good job and managed to destroy all trace of the mages aside from a few references and isolated individuals, making them into legends.

300 years later, civilisation has come along a bit (blackpowder, some steam; both movie-science in the category of "wonderous devices" rather than anything with useful applications) and the church are doing very well, funding a lot of scientific research and making the world a better place to live in.  But - and this is the but that you're interested in - the old powers start returning. People manifest magic powers and feel connections to the ancient spirits.  Mundane items are acquiring special powers.  Now, this is all well and good, but the Church can't stand for that if they've been funding science and strictly controlling it; so they start killing all the mages again, or capturing and experimenting on them.

Characters

The characters are the aforementioned mages, all of whom were either born with or spontaneously developed magic powers. Their possessions gained supernatural abilities and, try as they might, they couldn't hide from the church.  Events would twist to push them into contact with their enemies at every turn - they were the instruments of revenge for powers they could barely understand, reincarnations or simply vessels of power for unthinking concepts.  In games, they will be met with trouble at every turn and must do their best to end matters cleanly before they get out of hand.

Core concept: The Ancients

The Ancients are the Sun, Moon, Stars and Earth.  They provide the framework for definition of abilities and actions, which I'll get to later; at the moment I'll just detail what each one of them influences and which playing card suit they interact with. These are guides and can be blagged about with the GM and players if they have something particular in mind.

The Sun (Clubs): Atheletics, Strength, Power, Bravery, Fire, Anger, Intimidation, Light, Strength of character

The Moon (Spades): Acrobatics, Dexterity, Subterfuge, Stealth, Darkness, Perception, Quickness, Agility, Dodging

The Earth (Hearts): Stamina, Animal ken, Wisdom, Force of Will, Survival, Diplomacy, Toughness

The Stars (Diamonds): Secrets, Knowledge, Cunning, Persuasion, Glamour, Hidden paths, Luck

Character creation:

Deal four cards per player onto the centre of the table, face up.  Each player picks four cards, taking turns to choose, until they each have four cards. Set Aces, 2s, Jacks, Queens and Kings aside for the time being as they're too low/high powered to be interesting.  These are their character cards and the basis for their abilities.  For each card, write down an ability that matches the ethos of those given above.  For example, 5 of Hearts could be called "Tough" or "Wise Man of the Woods" or "Skilled Diplomat." One card must be assigned as their Magic ability, which has special rules detailed below.

Magic:

Each character has one card which powers their magic.  A high card would indicate lots of practice or great natural talent whereas a low card indicates a barely uncovered or worn-out spark of magic. When using the card to resolve conflicts (see below) the Magic card can be used whenever the character is using magic to influence a situation.  Magic cards do not have skills attached but instead represent the character's overall magical aptitude, so an Earth Magic user could summon animals, heal wounds, become a tree, calm passions, charm squirrels - anything covered by the gamut of the suit.  Magic cards can only be used a number of times per game equal to their rank (so a 7 of clubs can be used 7 times, etc).

Conflict resolution:

Each player is dealt a hand of cards equal to their number of character cards.  This represents the ways that they can solve the conflict - so a lot of clubs means that there are a lot of opportunities for violent behaviour, spades indicate that subtlety is more the order of the day, and so on.  They pick a card that represents their action and narrate said action but without mentioning the resolution, at which point the character or situation that they're challenging must play an equal or higher card to avoid losing.

Of course, it's not as simple as that.  A player can play combinations of cards, namely pairs, triples, quadruples, and runs of three or more in the same suit.  These represent either especially effective manuvers or a series of moderately effective ones. To defend against these, the defender must play the same number of cards of an equal or higher value - they don't have to be a run or a pair, etc.

The character cards can be used as though they were in the player's hand, but with the following limitations

1) May only use one a turn

2) May only use them if the action attempted relates to the skill attached to the card

For an example: The boxer (8 Clubs, Hit People With Fist) tries to strike the Rogue (9 of Spades, Dodge Fists). He plays an 8 of hearts from his hand and, using the eight of clubs, plays a pair of eights.  He narrates - "I take your puny blows, grab your hand and attempt to knock your teeth out with one punch."  The Rogue would rather he didn't so he consults his hand - the only card that can counter an eight is his ten of diamonds, so he uses that to negate the first card and the nine of spades from his hand to counter the second (he can use that card because it ties in with dodging a punch).

Defeat:

For each conflict lost, turn over a card.  The character may no longer use this skill, and a narrative reason should be established - A ranger can't use his Perception skill because of blood in his eyes, the gambler can't Cheat at Cards because someone's managed to see through his scheme and doesn't trust him, the diplomat's Smooth Things Over skill can't be used because he was trying to sneak that body behind the fireplace and got caught, that sort of thing.

If all of a character's cards are turned over, they are out of the encounter and can no longer participate; they are at the mercy of their opponents unless their friends can help.

Damage is healed in one of two ways.  After each encounter, one damaged card is healed (narratively so, if you wish). Magic may also be used to heal damage but only of the suit of the magic user - so a Earth mage can heal wounds and refresh stamina, a Moon mage can buff your stealth or put the spring back in your step, and so on.

GM Characters:

There are two ways that a GM can challenge the players; firstly, they can set characters against them which are generated like the ones above.  Secondly, they can generate entire encounters off a hand of cards.

For an encounter, the GM deals out a number of cards (still working out how many to make an interesting challenge).  If cards of the same suit are drawn, these are attached to each other and each suit is given a descriptive representing how an element of the encounter interacts with the players. High numbers indicate a solid defence and attack whereas low numbers represent relative weaknesses.  For example - the scenario "get into the castle keep" has 8 Hearts "Guards are very tough" 3 Spades "It's dark and the gaurds aren't very sharp-eyed" 7 Diamonds "There are cunning traps set up to deter intruders" and 5 Clubs "The walls are hard to climb." Any cards of the same suit are placed behind the highest card of that suit; when a conflict is lost, turn over a lower card and keep using the skill. 

The situation is then played like a character, acting and reacting against the PCs.

Equipment:

All characters are assumed to have any equipment they need to use their skills.  If it is taken away, they may have some problems using said skills. Special items (magic or technological) are represented by aces, twos and face cards given as loot from encounters.  These represent either new items or recharges for existing items.  Each card is given to the owning player and may be used as though it was a character card, although upon use it is removed from the player's hand. These cards should be used to power actions indicative of their suit; so a Queen of Hearts could be a magic breastplate that reflects damage, a Jack of Diamonds a knife that lets you cut through space to teleport, and so on.

QUESTIONS FOR THE FORGE:

1) How often would you refresh a player's hand? I'm thinking once after everyone has gone, but I'm unsure.
2) How many packs of cards am I going to need?  Will each player need to bring their own?
3) Are there any huge, glaring flaws with the system?
4) Does it look quick to learn and play?
5) Overall, does it look like an interesting system for a pick-up game?
6) Any advice on a better name?

Adam Dray

I do think this sounds interesting. It does look easy to learn and quick to play.

I'm a little concerned about the plot structure of the game. The "trick-taking" nature of play makes me wonder if it's mechanics first, fiction second, which can really make for hollow play. Is there any thing that requires the player to play a certain suit? Or can the player play any suit for which he can give a reasonable explanation? How do you resolve "reasonable"?

How do you generate gripping Situation?

When does the game end? Are there end game or epilogue rules?

Can you use Tarot for more color?

I have no idea how often you'll need to refresh, or how many decks you'll need. You ought to be able to sit down with a deck or two, deal out 3-4 hands face up in front of you and pretend to be four players. See how quickly people need refreshes to keep play interesting. See how long you can go without a refresh to create tension in play.

I'm not fond of the name. Better names: Inheritance. Persecution. Curse of the Ancients. God and Gift.
Adam Dray / adam@legendary.org
Verge -- cyberpunk role-playing on the brink
FoundryMUSH - indie chat and play at foundry.legendary.org 7777

pipebomb

Quote from: Adam Dray on August 18, 2009, 04:33:09 PM
I do think this sounds interesting. It does look easy to learn and quick to play.

I'm a little concerned about the plot structure of the game. The "trick-taking" nature of play makes me wonder if it's mechanics first, fiction second, which can really make for hollow play. Is there any thing that requires the player to play a certain suit? Or can the player play any suit for which he can give a reasonable explanation? How do you resolve "reasonable"?

The game is mechanics first, yeah.  I was thinking about something that would be different and easy to play, and settled on cards then tried to hammer out a system around that.  The setting's afterthought, really; it would work alright with "it's D&D" as the setting but I thought having an underground criminal movement would fit nicely with the poker mechanic.

I guess it's too late now to design the setting first.  Might this cause some issues?

How do you generate gripping Situation?

Might have to explain this one to me, I fear.  Taking a guess at what you mean, excitement is generated by an interaction on the GM and player's part in in putting together a reasonably fluid narrative in which the characters try to overcome a problem posed to them; there aren't movement or combat rules per se, so it's more collaborative storytelling (much like the aforementioned Wushu) rather than tactics or canny resource management.  (although there may well be some of that; use of magic items, wearing down an NPC with small attack so a friend can deliver the decisive blow, etc)

When does the game end? Are there end game or epilogue rules?

I guess when the current challenge has been defeated in the narrative, and everyone wants to stop playing.  It's quite open-ended.  In terms of epilogue, I guess there's always experience - increase your ratings in character cards or swap them out for new ones.

Can you use Tarot for more color?

Had a think about this, and I think it'd confuse matters and lose the underworld aspect (although it would boost the "magic" aspect, so hm).  Also I'd need to scrape together some rules for the major arcana which will end up being very interpretive and take away the shared control of the simulation from the players, putting it firmly in the GM's court.  But is that a bad thing?

Also, tarot cards are harder to come by and more expensive, and if we're looking for multiple sets that could be an issue.

I have no idea how often you'll need to refresh, or how many decks you'll need. You ought to be able to sit down with a deck or two, deal out 3-4 hands face up in front of you and pretend to be four players. See how quickly people need refreshes to keep play interesting. See how long you can go without a refresh to create tension in play.

Might well do that, or bother some nearby friends to give it a go before our weekly game of Dark Heresy.

I'm not fond of the name. Better names: Inheritance. Persecution. Curse of the Ancients. God and Gift.

I like Inheritance, that works quite well.

Adam Dray

Hey there. Can I call you something other than "pipebomb"?

Mechanics first?

When I say the game is "mechanics first," I'm referring to how the fiction creation interacts with the dice mechanics. Ideally, you want play to go something like this, I think:

1. a player describes what her PC is doing
2. she chooses a card that goes with that action
3. the GM describes the reactions of the NPC
4. the GM chooses a card that goes with that action
5. compare cards
6. someone describes what happens as a result

This isn't the only way things can go, of course. You can choose a card first and then narrate something that makes sense for that card. I think that's what players will tend to do in your game, because they'll be playing their highest cards when they can. If that's okay, don't sweat it. If you want players to narrate first, think about cards next, then you need a different mechanic. Note that there are games that successfully go to randomizers first; Misspent Youth, for example, explicitly tells the player to roll before saying anything at all.

Creating Situation

When I talk about generating gripping Situation, I am referring to how good games help players have fun. Situation is the intersection of Character, Setting, and plot (or time / System). If the GM asks the players, "Okay, what do you want to do?" they should have so many ideas that asking the question was probably unnecessary in the first place.

Look at a game like D&D 4E. The Dungeon Master's job is to put the characters into dangerous situations. He may drop them at the entrance to a dungeon, or he may lead them with clues (that they're expected to follow!) to that dungeon, but all paths lead to some kind of combat against nasty people or creatures. The game has rules for creating that situation.

Or in Dogs in the Vineyard, the GM creates a Town that is pregnant with problems. When the PCs arrive, NPCs come out of the woodwork to ask the PCs' help. "What do you do?" never really has to be asked. It's implicit in the strong situation created by the rules.

Story Arcs

You can leave your game open-ended. There's nothing wrong with that. But consider ways to build a story arc into play. Introduction of characters, rising tensions, complications, trough of despair, the long struggle, victory, denouement. You can do pretty cool things with traditional story structure. Misspent Youth and Annalise are two games that have explicit story structure built into the rules. Dogs in the Vineyard is episodic in nature (go to a new Town, fix it, move on). Primetime Adventures uses a serial episode structure like tv to structure play.

One thing about the story arc is that it can tie into the reward cycle. D&D sorta does this, right? You go into the dungeon (or town or temple or wilderness or whatever -- but it's an environment with threats), kill the bad guys, find the loot, and return home. That's when you gain XP and level up.

Tarot

You don't have to use the major arcana. Or you can separate them into two card piles and draw from the major arcana at special times and let the players (forget the GM!) interpret the card. The game Ganakagok uses custom cards with pictures and keywords on them and lets players interpret what they mean and it's a lot of fun.

You're right that fewer people have a tarot deck than have a regular deck of cards. If it's right for your game, though, don't shy from it. I mean, hell, Fastlane requires a roulette wheel! (and provides optional rules for dice).

Adam Dray / adam@legendary.org
Verge -- cyberpunk role-playing on the brink
FoundryMUSH - indie chat and play at foundry.legendary.org 7777