News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

New RPG Project: Superhero RPG with a more "light feel.

Started by SeeThirty, August 09, 2009, 05:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeeThirty

I'm something of a "veteran" gamer and GM, and I am working on a project now that incorporates a "little rascals" style into a superhero RPG somewhat in the vein of the film "Mystery Men".

Violence will be light, along the level of saturday morning cartoons, mostly. Characters in the base system will not "die", only be knocked unconscious or otherwise immobilized when defeated. Characters will be children, at least on the hero side, probably villain side as well. There will be some comedic aspects to gameplay. Overall, this is very much a work in progress.

I'd really love to hear from people who have designed kid-focused RPG's before (not necessarily with kids as players, but with kids as characters), as well as those interested or involved with superhero RPG creation, or anyone else who might have some interesting ideas they'd like to share.

I originally thought of using some form of the Fuzion system for game mechanics, as I've used that before, but opted instead to create my own system, as I think I am ready to move beyond the need to use someone else's mechanics, if that makes sense.

Anyhow, thanks for reading, and please comment.

Chris

SeeThirty

In effort to give some further clarity to my game project, I'm going to try to work through a version of the "Power 19" questions and answer them..

1. What is your game about?

My game is about a group of players doing crazy things together through their characters, and above all, having fun with the game. This game doesn't take itself too seriously. In a sense, it is also about going back to childhood, where you "goofed off" with your friends, and didn't really have a care. An attempt at sort of recapturing that feeling, even if for a game session or two. Adventures and game options should at least partially reflect this ethic.

2. What do the characters do?

The characters are, to put it as basically as possible, heroes (or, optionally, villains). What they do, is compete with the opposing faction, through the course of a game scenario. They try to defeat the "other guys/girls", and advance their characters along the way.

3. What do the players do?

The players act out their goals within the story's context through the characters they play, much like in any "standard" role-playing game. The players are encouraged to role-play, be inventive, and above all, have fun.

4. How does your setting (or lack thereof) reinforce what your game is about?

Wishing I had superpowers was a large part of my childhood, at least part of the time (I remember wishing I was Spiderman). The setting focuses on superpowers, because they are essentially the embodiment of the dreams of many children. Most kids at one time likely thought about having powers, or flying, or going somewhere they couldn't ever reach. Giving players the option of playing characters with access to such superpowers, in my opinion, works to reinforce what the game is about rather well.

5. How does the Character Creation of your game reinforce what your game is about?

Character Creation is set up to give the player their "dream" character, more or less. Want your character to do something? It will be possible, at least as long as it is possible to explain under the context of the game rules.

6. What types of behaviors/styles of play does your game reward (and punish if necessary)?

The game tends to reward creative thinking, and good role-playing. As of yet, I can't think of a behavior that would be "punished", per se.

7. How are behaviors and styles of play rewarded or punished in your game?

Creative thinking, inventive solutions to problems, and good role-playing are rewarded through bonuses to rolls, as well as increased experience point rewards after a battle is over. Punishment, I suppose would work in a similar fashion. If there was a "punishable" behavior, as GM, I would likely apply penalties to dice rolls, or less experience rewards from encounters/battles, or both.

8. How are the responsibilities of narration and credibility divided in your game?

The GM (Game Master) is responsible for narrating and introducing events as they happen, -EXCEPT- if that would otherwise fall to a player. For example, if narrating involved a player character, or otherwise covered the group of players, then the players might be tasked with providing narration or dialogue. Obviously, the players speak for their characters.

9. What does your game do to command the players' attention, engagement, and participation? (i.e. What does the game do to make them care?)

I read the question as "what does your game do to hold player interest?" Hopefully, I am correct. It presents the players with opportunities for adventure through their characters, and offers them challenges, problems to solve, foes to do battle with, tasks to complete, and rewards for doing this.

10. What are the resolution mechanics of your game like?

Resolution mechanics are not dealt with in-depth, as of now. I'm still working on the system.

11. How do the resolution mechanics reinforce what your game is about?

Again, resolution mechanics are a work-in-progress, so I cannot answer this question properly yet.

12. Do characters in your game advance? If so, how?

Yes, characters advance. They do so through spending "experience points" that are earned as as result of encounters. These translate directly on a 1-for-1 basis with "character points", which are used in the design stage for buying attributes, skills, traits, powers, etc. So, experience points lead to the player being able to customize their character as they choose.

13. How does the character advancement (or lack thereof) reinforce what your game is about?

Advancement occurs as a direct result of participation in the game's encounters. Since the point of a game is above all else that it be played, I feel this reinforces the game's goals quite nicely.

14. What sort of product or effect do you want your game to produce in or for the players?

I'd like my game to bring players partially back to a time in their lives where they just cut loose, and had fun. Playing RPG's does this for me, as well as others. I hope playing my game will allow you to free your mind of everyday troubles, and just have a good time being someone else for a while.

15. What areas of your game receive extra attention and color? Why?

Well, since superpowers and how they are used would likely be a strong centerpiece of the game, I suppose they receive extra attention. As mentioned above, superpowers are a large part of the focus for the game, being an "unattainable" dream of childhood, so their focus in attention is obvious and valid.

16. Which part of your game are you most excited about or interested in? Why?

All of it. But, if I had to pick something to be most excited about, I think I would be pleased if even one group of people could ease their everyday burdens in life by gathering around a table and just playing, like we all once did when we were younger. That would leave me very satisfied.

17. Where does your game take the players that other games can't, don't, or won't?

I don't really know how to answer this question. I think every game is at least in several ways related to most others. There have been many role-playing games, and I'm quite sure that most if not all aspects of mine have been covered once if not twice before. But, hopefully I provide a fun medium for the game's purpose. I don't intend to "re-make" all role-playing games. I only intend to make my own, and that it be playable, even enjoyable to some.

18. What are your publishing goals for your game?

My goal is that it be playable, and played. As far as money, I have no grand designs on striking it rich with a pen-and-paper RPG. If a publisher would like to work with me, I'm sure that could lead to more people playing my game, and flashier documentation, but I'd be just as happy if it were available for free.

19. Who is your target audience?

Anyone who still has that spark of childhood adventure still in their hearts, or would like to try recapturing it. But, my game is not aimed toward people with no sense of humor. ;-)

Wow. That took longer than I expected. But, I hope this can shed some light on my aspirations.

SeeThirty

I think what I'm having the most actual trouble with, is I'm trying to come up with a system of involving the child character's interactions with family and other background community stuff as a sort of hindrance to the game's scenarios. For example, an overprotective parent who has to be avoided because they are scouring the neighborhood looking for the character, or a younger brother or sister who tries ingeniously amusing ways of "tagging along", much to the characters' surprise. Other characters who aren't involved with the story directly can "crash" the scenario, and make things difficult, such as nosy neighbors, new kids in the neighborhood, reporters for the school newspaper who become suspicious that the characters are (*GASP*) actual superheroes, etc..

Mostly a way of providing comedic "color" to the game, and some random oddity that must be dealt with during a game session.

Any thoughts on how I might work this out within a rules context?

Thanks.

Elizabeth

I'm going to admit first off, I skipped your power 19. It's a lot of text and I'm doing like three things at once, but I think your idea is really cool and I didn't want to see it languish-- it kind of reminds me of those old-school Commander Keen videogames, which were my very very favorite.

In a lot of kid-fantasy-superhero stuff, the villains and monsters are blown-up, exaggerated versions of the more mundane problems of childhood-- what you describe as "family and other background community stuff." Calvin's daydreams of Spaceman Spiff in Calvin and Hobbes are a great example of this. Not that the superheroness HAS to be a daydream, but the parallels are almost always present. The superhero action, saving the world and whatnot, is the reason superkids have for avoiding overprotective parents and nosy parents. So as such, it's not really important to see that everyday world EXCEPT in scenario-crashing situations. I think if you pull the situation from the crash, or the crash from the situation, it might be kind of elegant. I don't know if that's what you're going for, though.

Lance D. Allen

Another good example of what Elizabeth is talking about can be summed up by the last line of the movie Sky High:

"In the end, my girlfriend became my arch enemy, my arch enemy became my best friend, and my best friend became my girlfriend. But, hey, it's high school."

There should definitely be some emphasis that these are still kids, even if they've got super powers.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

SeeThirty

Thanks, both of you. :-)

You're giving me a lot to think about. Keep the ideas flowing.

SeeThirty

Elizabeth:

Thanks again for your input. Here's how I think I'll include the "everyday" element..

I completely agree with you on the reasons why our kid characters do their superpowered adventuring, by the way. As I see it, the everyday stuff is a plot device, and a "foil" in a sense, happening at certain times to work much like you suggest as a scenario-crashing situation. I've always loved Calvin and Hobbes. And I think that's a good example of a comedic plot device. Imagine if the characters have to "save the day" same time tomorrow, with parents arriving or calling them via cell phone because their dinner's getting cold. I'm trying to figure out how it can be varied enough to be some form of "table", while not always interfering in major ways. I imagine if it always meant the characters had to "go", that would get frustrating. But having to "check in" with mom or dad from time to time would be less invasive but still annoying. :-)

Lance:

I never saw Sky High, so I guess I've got some movie watching in my future. Good quote, though, and I agree. Even with superpowers they still have kid stuff to deal with.

Ken

First, I'd like to recommend some reading: the Melvin Beederman: Superhero series, and the Ordinary Boy series. I've been reading these chapter books to my 4-year-old for a while now, and they have some very similar elements to what you're thinking about here.

Second, whenever someone mentions rules-light superheroes, I always recommend checking Risus Supers. It is a very simple, silly, and elegant game. While I'm not suggesting you ape it, I think it puts true rules light gaming into perspective.

I liked your Little Rascals comparison. I grew up on those guys, and they were fun. Gaming should be fun, too. If you can distill that element into your game, I think you'll have come up with something great. I'm a big fan of wrapping your system around the game concept; being too generic can make a system drab. If there are key elements that attract you to this game concept, try making them stats, or using them as part of the rules.

As far as story foils are concerned; I think a concept like yours has plenty of material. Super heroing around dinner, homework, chores, school, sports, etc. Do kid supers get to hero at night? What does a kid hero on restriction do?

I think this is a cool idea, and would like to hear more your system ideas.

Good Luck,

Ken
Ken

10-Cent Heroes; check out my blog:
http://ten-centheroes.blogspot.com

Sync; my techno-horror 2-pager
http://members.cox.net/laberday/sync.pdf

SeeThirty

Thanks, Ken.

In response, I'll check out those titles.

Well, the way I see it, much like real life, some kids are "old enough" to stay out later (my characters are aged somewhere between 9 and 15 years, roughly [still working on a good ballpark range]), and in situations where they'd need to get out of something at home, I'm going to have players decide how they sneak out or talk their way into not having to go to some family event. Certain characters (older, for example) might have buyable perks which allow them to avoid more of the restrictions, but not all of them. Either a bonus to their roll to avoid family drama, or just a flat-out "I'm 14, I don't have to go watch my stupid brother's basketball game!" (I favor a bonus rather than an exemption, as I believe exemptions act in contrast to the game's theme). Players might be granted a "get out of..." card for role-playing certain scenes well, that they could use later.

One of the powers I'm thinking about using is duplication, which would certainly come in handy. Be home, and away at the same time. But most of the characters wouldn't have this handy power, so the players would have to come up with creative ideas on how to get out. Yes, the characters do get night adventures. I'm also a fan of the film "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", which presents some pretty sneaky tricks for a kid trying to avoid their everyday obligations like school. Night adventures would not be so common, I think, but I'm not decided yet.

dindenver

Chris,
  I have played and GM's a couple of comedy games and put some thought into which ones worked and why:
1) Task/Success/Failure mechanics do not normally help/hinder the comedy fun. Games that really ring true focus the mechanics on the comedy. For instance, Toon gives you XPs when you make the GM laugh and you get extra actions when you make other players laugh.
2) Good comedy games rely on good writing
3) Don't insert comedy if you don't want a comedy game.

Also, if you want it to stay fun, maybe design the mechanics on a win/win mechanic (like ...In Spaaace!). In other words, most standard mechanics are a win/lose mechanic. So, if you fail your roll, you lose. You get nothing and sometimes your character is in a worse situation than if you did nothing. with Win/win mechanics, you get something when you fail and don't get what you want.

Seems like a cool idea, let me know how it goes, ok?
Dave M
Author of Legends of Lanasia RPG (Still in beta)
My blog
Free Demo

SeeThirty

Thanks for being patient, everyone. This is just an update message, to let you all know I'm still here and working this out.

dindenver: You are correct, sort of. I am designing the mechanics somewhat like "Toon". There will be expansion rules to take the game beyond, but the "vanilla" version of my game will be the type of situation where no one technically "loses". I don't believe in an impossible scenario. I do not believe, personally, that you can't have a fun, comedic win/lose mechanic. It all depends on the system. Just because someone hasn't made one, doesn't rule it out. Thanks very much for your input. I did, however state that I want my game to have comedy, so a lot of this goes without saying. I will be working the mechanics of the game from the ground up. They will fit what they are designed to fit, being a light, fun, comedic super-powered RPG.

I've been really busy this past week. I'm working on several things, plus my routine day-to-day stuff. I will post updates here as I find time, and make them, and respond to any comments or questions as best I can.

Right now, I am focusing on the game's layout piece by piece. First off, I'm designing a simple conflict resolution formula, and trying to come up with "critical success/failure" tables that reflect a little drama, and a little humor, in about a 50/50 mix. I'll post thoughts on this as soon as I am underway. Any ideas would be welcome.

Michael S. Miller

My suggestions:

1) Decide whether you're designing a game about kids who also happen to be superheroes, or a game about superheroes who also happen to be kids. The difference in emphasis is enormous and will guide all your other decisions.

2) Make a list of a half-dozen or so story elements/events that could come up in a game related to the kid-side of the game. Do the same for the superhero-side.

3) Look at those lists. Who introduces them into play? Is it the GM? Is it the player introducing them for his own character? For another player's character? Is it some element of the game itself?

4) Why would that person introduce that element? What in the game could motivate her to do that? What does she get out of it?
Serial Homicide Unit Hunt down a killer!
Incarnadine Press--The Redder, the Better!

Ken

Quote from: Michael S. Miller on August 22, 2009, 10:49:26 AM
Decide whether you're designing a game about kids who also happen to be superheroes, or a game about superheroes who also happen to be kids.

I think Michael may have hit the advice jackpot here. One of the things that I find alluring about indie rpg design is how non-universal some of these games are. The rules are tuned specifically for their genre (or sub-genre, as the case may be), allowing each rule & mechanic to advance the premise/setting of the game.

Since being a kid is as important to your theme as being a superhero, I could see a very childlike vibe to writing the rules. On notebook paper? With crayon? Lots of stick or block figures with capes?

Perhaps your powers could be more descriptive than academic. "Shoots rays from eyes" rather than "Power Blast". That sort of thing. I could see the powers being different and made up for each character, with a loose framework structure in the rules. It may pay for power rules to be more free form here.

In most other hero games, a balance is struck between power cost and power potency; maybe here, more powerful abilities cost the same, they just tend to get you into more trouble. Maybe each time you use a power, you add to a trouble or drama pool; more powerful abilities contribute more points, or something like that.

Your rules light leaning would be well served here. Kids don't care about rules, maybe the mechanics should reflect that. Anyway, I think you have a potential goldmine of inspiration here, and I hope this helps you refine your thoughts. Looking forward to hearing more.
Ken

Michael S. Miller

Hi, Ken.

One nitpick of phrasing I have to address because it's a widely-believed misconception:

Quote from: Ken on August 22, 2009, 09:13:40 PM
Kids don't care about rules,

Kids care very much about rules. Childhood is a years-long process of learning rules--How does the world work? What do I have to do to not get picked on at recess?

It's fair to say that kids don't care about the same kind of rules that adults care about. When I think about the minutae of D&D rules that I could cite chapter and verse at 14, I'm slightly embarrassed, because it's all the stuff I couldn't care less about now.

Rules that kids respond to need to be simple and clear. But they need to be there. Kids (just like adults) respond to boundaries and guidelines and use them as springboards for imagination.
Serial Homicide Unit Hunt down a killer!
Incarnadine Press--The Redder, the Better!

Ken

Quote from: Michael S. Miller on August 23, 2009, 09:19:34 AM
Kids care very much about rules.

This can be very true.

My point here (and in the interest of staying on topic), is: If your game is about super-kids, write the rules from that perspective. Personally, I wouldn't add too much detail; I would keep it simple and INTERESTING. Avoid BORING!!! Use terms a kid a would use (for stats, mechanics, etc.) Use lots of action words.

I'm a big fan of wrapping your game concept and genre into the rules as much as possible. I think this makes for a very memorable and fun system.

Good Luck, looking forward to hearing more.
Ken