News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Bladeslingers

Started by Jake Norwood, July 27, 2002, 12:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyrax

Too big to contain?  Yes.  So, I think we'll just present it.
Lance Meibos
Insanity takes it's toll.  Please have exact change ready.

Get him quick!  He's still got 42 hit points left!

Mokkurkalfe

What is the Riddle of Steel?
It's 42!!

Actually, it makes me think a little of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. The fact that you really don't know what the question means, so the answer is pretty pointless.

I guess the Riddle comes sneaking up on you. Suddenly you realize; "Damn, I think I know!" and that you probably have known for quite some time.

In game terms, I think you have achieved the riddle when you have utter, total and complete control over the tRoS combat system:-).
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

Gordon C. Landis

So you know where I'm coming from -  I've read Ron's review, and a number of the threads here, but that's it.  I've currently got a bit of a bias against the rich combat detail approach (lists of moves/styles and the like) RoS seems to use, but I'm intrigued enough that I'm looking forward to picking it up at GenCon - maybe even getting a chance to play some.

Now, my (possibly interesting) point - the thing that seems a little misplaced/over-emphasised to me about the bladeslinger/riddle-seeker thing is the notion that the CHARACTER would think about themselves in anything approaching those terms.  It's been a while since I watched an Eastwood western,  or Yojimbo, but . . . those characters are just "doing what they do."  Surviving.  Operating by the rules they've chosen.  They're not "seeking" anything, nor attached to life as a sellsword of any stripe.  At the next village they visit, they might work as a ditch digger for a few months to earn their keep, and then move on (obviously, no movie will be made of *that* little time period).

Some might say that is true proof they've mastered the Riddle, but again, the key point for me is that this seeker/self-driven sellsword notion is imposed by the audience, the observer, not the character.  So while the "story of bladeslinging" may be key to what games of RoS are like/about for the PLAYERS, it seems odd that there's a special kind of character that's explicitly in-game logic defined as attached to that.  As I understand RoS, EVERY character, through their SA's, will be exploring those issues.  Those who do so in great depth and detail may come to be seen by the players - perhaps even by OTHER characters in the game world - as special "seekers" of some sort.

But they'd not identify themseleves in such a way.  At least, that's how it seems to an outsider who hasn't read the book . . .

Gordon
www.snap-game.com (under construction)

Silanthous

I consider The Riddle to be different for everyone, sought by all in mirad ways. Take my Sorcerer for example, his main SA, Drive, is to become an archmage. What is an Archmage? Does that just mean getting 3 in every vagary? does it mean getting a higher SP than anyone else? both? neither? how about formalizing every known spell? no? well what is it? The Riddle is fully determined by each character and their SA. what they chose and follow determines their idea of the Riddle, Their version of complete understanding. It doesn't matter what the end of that path is, or if you ever reach it. what matters are the trials along the way, the obsticals that stop you from being you, from doing as you think you should do. My view of the Riddle is more of a completing of all life's Desires while still living longer, Inner peace so to speak. and that is a Life long goal if i ever saw one.
Silanthous Silverbreeze, AKA Robert Zoccoli. Archmage of high Order.

Sneaky Git

Quote from: SilanthousI consider The Riddle to be different for everyone, sought by all in mirad ways. Take my Sorcerer for example, his main SA, Drive, is to become an archmage. What is an Archmage? Does that just mean getting 3 in every vagary? does it mean getting a higher SP than anyone else? both? neither? how about formalizing every known spell? no? well what is it? The Riddle is fully determined by each character and their SA. what they chose and follow determines their idea of the Riddle, Their version of complete understanding. It doesn't matter what the end of that path is, or if you ever reach it. what matters are the trials along the way, the obsticals that stop you from being you, from doing as you think you should do. My view of the Riddle is more of a completing of all life's Desires while still living longer, Inner peace so to speak. and that is a Life long goal if i ever saw one.

Now /this/ I like.  "Their version of complete understanding."  That makes sense.  The Riddle (in general) is the Path that you, and you alone, choose.  The Riddle of Steel (more specific, now) is one extrapolation of this Path.  Walked by many, but different for each.

I like the idea that you can go to a Riddlemaster to learn.. perhaps to even master the blade (or whatever), but that doesn't guarantee that you will, in turn, "solve" the Riddle.  Rather, each must do so in their own way.. and in their own time.  Sounds a little lonely..

Specifically, for Weyrth, I'm thinking that many/most "respectable" folk will not be too keen on having a large number of these bladeslinger types roaming about.  Bad for business.. death and all.  I mean, yeah, there is the romance many have attributed to the image of the gunslinger from the American West.. but let's be serious.  They were, for the most part, lauded for actions and personality traits that did not mesh well with organized society.  And they were much more popular in the "civilized" East than "out West."

So, to get back to what I was leading into, I can see bladeslingers being a little on the unpopular side with common folk.. As for those bladeslingers seeking the so-called "Riddle of Steel," do they look any different than a bravo with a blade, an attitude, and something to prove?  Are they nicer?  Less destructive?  Are they just armed men/women with a willingness to draw steel.. and then blood?  Who knows?  They are all individuals.  And each will be different.

And, as a commoner (with a self-preservation streak a mile wide) who will be the first to duck when the fur starts to fly, I wouldn't be too keen on sticking around to find out which /you/ are.
Molon labe.
"Come and get them."

- Leonidas of Sparta, in response to Xerxes' demand that the Spartans lay down their arms.

Roy

I love the theme you've worked into the game although I haven't had the chance to pick up a copy yet.  This is the first game I've really looked forward to picking up in a long time.  Congratulations!

As for "The Riddle of Steel", I see it as the ability to walk your own path in life without anything having the power to pull you off the path you want to walk.  You finally see the influence everything has on everything else and can walk whatever path it is that you wish.  

If I were a Bladesinger, I would know I had answered the Riddle when I walked away from a duel without ever drawing my blade ... knowing I had already won.  

That's a deep theme for a roleplaying game.  I love it!

Roy

Chade

You may want to find a copy of "Iroshi" by Cary Osborne and read it for inspiration. Even though it is a sci-fi setting, the concept of Zero fits the Riddle of Steel perfectly.
Chade