Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 01:46:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.
Search:     Advanced search
275647 Posts in 27717 Topics by 4283 Members Latest Member: - otto Most online today: 80 - most online ever: 429 (November 03, 2007, 04:35:43 AM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [UtB] First trial: Adventures of Pena  (Read 604 times)
Jaakko Koivula

Postmodern man-thing

« on: September 13, 2009, 08:12:43 PM »

i]Meta-game thoughts:

We were only three, which I think sort of broke the mechanics. I got into a huge lead in the beginning, when I managed to get a token and the others didn't. The game ended rather rapidly, but I guess that's just the way it goes, if everyone picks new characteristics and if one stays lucky with the dice.

It also felt really weird how I could potentially narrate many exchanges of conflicts just for myself. Not sure if we got the mechanic right for that.

End of round -> all tokens into hat -> last winner narrates conflict -> the one who's token gets taken out of the hat solves the situation (even if he just narrated the conflict)
Is this the way it's supposed to go?

Not sure if I understood if you get one chance to solve a conflict a round, or so many chances as you have tokens. If you had four tokens in the hat, you could end up narrating 4 times in a row, both sides of the conflict. Sounds really odd, but maybe this just doesn't happen in larger crowds? Or do you just put 1 token in the hat always? I'll try reading the rules one more time for this.

Also, how do you solve ties? We just rerolled, but we couldn't find anything in the manual about them.

Lastly, does the person who starts the game by narrating the first conflict, get to solve a conflict on the first round? After reading the rules again, Im leaning towards no.

Summa summarum, we all enjoyed the game really much. The story turned out great and funny and also a bit nasty. And atleast for me, it felt just like what UtB game was supposed to feel according to the manual. Can't wait until I get to play it in a larger group with the teenagersMeta-game thoughts[/i]:

We were only three, which I think sort of broke the mechanics. I got into a huge lead in the beginning, when I managed to get a token and the others didn't. The game ended rather rapidly, but I guess that's just the way it goes, if everyone picks new characteristics and if one stays lucky with the dice.

It also felt really weird how I could potentially narrate many exchanges of conflicts just for myself. Not sure if we got the mechanic right for that.

End of round -> all tokens into hat -> last winner narrates conflict -> the one who's token gets taken out of the hat solves the situation (even if he just narrated the conflict)
Is this the way it's supposed to go?

Not sure if I understood if you get one chance to solve a conflict a round, or so many chances as you have tokens. If you had four tokens in the hat, you could end up narrating 4 times in a row, both sides of the conflict. Sounds really odd, but maybe this just doesn't happen in larger crowds? Or do you just put 1 token in the hat always? I'll try reading the rules one more time for this.

Also, how do you solve ties? We just rerolled, but we couldn't find anything in the manual about them.

Lastly, does the person who starts the game by narrating the first conflict, get to solve a conflict on the first round? After reading the rules again, Im leaning towards no.

Summa summarum, we all enjoyed the game really much. The story turned out great and funny and also a bit nasty. And atleast for me, it felt just like what UtB game was supposed to feel according to the manual. Can't wait until I get to play it in a larger group with the teenagers.
Jaakko Koivula

Postmodern man-thing

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 02:50:23 AM »

Read the glyphpress forum here and actually found answers to pretty much all the questions already. Heh.

No narrating conflicts for yourself and that actually pretty much solves the "how many tokens in the hat" -question also. Because having more tokens doesn't lead to as much sillyness this way as it would if you could just keep on narrating stuff to yourself.

At the end of a round you could potentially have only one person's tokens in the hat, but I guess you could just randomize someone to narrate the conflict then or something.

On Arkenstone's forums I also found the idea, that ties could be always decided for the toy, which sounds quite nice and balanced.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: