News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Capes] Need help to prepare a con game

Started by Dominic Claveau, September 17, 2009, 12:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominic Claveau

Hi,

I've played Capes only a few times even though it's definitely in my top 3 of best RPGs ever. Now, I want people in my area to discover that game and so, I plan to "host" it at our upcoming convention Draconis. The thing is, I don't have much experience con-wise and I would like to make sure that by the end of the slot, we would have told a story and not simply played a couple of scenes.

What I mean is that I'm okay with the fact that the end might be open, but at the same time, I would like to make sure everyone at the table get the feeling of a conclusion. I'm aiming at something like a pilot or extended first episode for a TV show.

I've already read theads here about con games, but I would like a bit more advice on the prep itself. So far, my notes are scarce and I still need to come up with characters, but I'll give you what I've got so far.

Here's the pitch : Once, you volunteered for that new program of special training. You went through hard and hurtful experiments to help turn you into what your colleagues dubbed a "Super Cop". You stood for justice and people admired you. But at some point, a couple of your teammates went rogue and pursued their own criminal agenda. You were then all outlawed and hunted for that. Now, will you still fight for justice ?

Comics Code : - Only innocents can die
                       - Supervillains always manage to escape
                       - Officials cannot approve heroes' deeds
                       - Supervillains can only die because a hero sacrifices himself

Chargen : Heroes must have a "villain" drive.
               They must take an examplar for that drive*
               They must have at least one "negative" attitude

*Here, I'm thinking about heroes having their former teammates as examplar and I'd probably do the same with the villains so they would all be related at the onset.

So far, I would like the game to be about dilemmas like "If everyone is against me, why shouldn't I also use my powers for my own benefit ?" or "Should I continue to fight these former friends and endanger innocents or should I vanish from sight and let regular law enforcement do their job ?"

Any thoughts or advice will be much appreciated.