News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Copyeditor is requested

Started by zenram, October 07, 2009, 03:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenram

Hello

Some friends and I are putting together a small publisher of RPG products and we need a copyeditor, the idea is to find someone reliable and professional to work at regular intervals and who can offer us a good price.

The idea is to publish two short adventures of some 4,000 words and a long one of approximately 12,000 words, every 40 days or so.

Anyone interested can send an email with his portfolio and its pretensions to the following address: craftingzone at gmail dot com

Greetings

David Artman

I'm curious about--and a tad confused by--your post.

A copy editor is largely responsible for fact-checking, with only a marginal concern for proof reading.
A proof reader is largely responsible for grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
An editor is largely responsible for working with an author to refine, rewrite, and otherwise perfect the textual delivery of the content.
A technical editor or graphic artist is largely responsible for typesetting, page flowing, image setting, and general book design.

So, do you *really* need a copy editor, given that you are making products in a fictional setting of your own design? What would a copy editor fact-check? Consistency of facts within the fiction is possible, as is verifying that whatever system and setting elements you use (and supplements for same) are correctly quoted or statted.

Or do you need a proofer, as another set of eyes on your copy before you commit to a print run/PDF listing? Or do you need someone to help you refine your writing LONG before you are doing layout? (I'm gonna assume you don't need a layout artist.)

Or do you need someone at all stages of the process? Editor during authoring, copy editor and proofer when finalizing text, and maybe a bit of layout help, in the final deliverable?

(As an aside, I am qualified to do all three, with 14 years of experience with Fortune 500 companies, small press publishers, and local businesses needing marketing collateral or business forms and documentation processes.)
Designer - GLASS, Icehouse Games
Editor - Perfect, Passages

Gregor Hutton

Yes, clarity on what you need done would be good. Where I've worked, a copy editor (or it's sometimes called desk editor or production editor) would copy-edit text for spelling, grammar, consistency, house style and add queries for the author(s). Typically they would then collate the author's corrections to a proof and proof-read these almost-finished pages.

I'm assuming you already are doing the "Editor" (or "Developer") guidance, questioning and direction before you envisage handing the text to a copy-editor. And similarly have layout and PDFing covered.

zenram

Hello

QuoteWhere I've worked, a copy editor (or it's sometimes called desk editor or production editor) would copy-edit text for spelling, grammar, consistency, house style and add queries for the author(s). Typically they would then collate the author's corrections to a proof and proof-read these almost-finished pages.

You get it. XD

Thanks to all who were interested in working with us, fortunately, we received many proposals and the vacant has already been filled.

Yours sincerely.

Crafting Zone Entertainment™