News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

TAROT: IT LIVEEEEES!!!!!

Started by 7VII7, October 12, 2009, 10:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7VII7

Yo, it's been awhile (over a month counts as awhile correct?) And now I'm back with a vengence! MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Weeeeeeeeell, anyways the flashdrive with all my work on it went *speelch* (aka it broke) so I'm back to square one, but I think it has given me time to think so yeah.

Well, anyways, time for a reintroduction;

RPG Name: Tarot

Setting: Modern-ish day

Situation: A number of mysterious stones (called cores) appeared (I haven't decided yet if they all fell like shooting stars at once or just happened to appear recently), these then sit around absorbing "soul" (though in this case it's more like thoughts, feelings, memories, belief, rumors, fiction, philosophical concepts, etc & so on) and when they absorb enough they "hatch" into a form reflecting the soul absorbed, they then go around trying to absorb more soul through whatever means possible. These things are normally invisible to most people but a select few can see them and fight them. The people are the end result of a core "feeding" almost solely on a single person's soul, they then enter into sort of a symbiotic bond with them and the people can use the power of what hatched from the core. As for beyond that I'll leave it up to the players though I've got some campaign ideas floating around.

Characters: People that have found themselves bonded to a core, in discovering the truth about the world around them they can't return to their ignorant lifestyle, but whether they use their new found powers to protect people from the core beasts or use it for personal gain is up to them.

System: Diceless, with a GM (I can't figure out a way around that, sigh...) hopefully easy to understand and fast paced. Basic combat resolution would be picking 2 (or in rare circumstances only 1 or 3), adding them together, adding any revelant modifiers from traits/powers/or circumstances, and comparing it to a target number which the GM does NOT tell the player beforehand. There wouldn't be HP but there would be Fatigue which would increase the more tired you get and injury levels which represent injuries and would mostly just be another negative modifier. Also the characters would have a pool of points to spend on truly spectacular stuff.

Color: Part Urban-fantasy novel, part Shounen Manga

Inspiration: Persona, JoJo's Bizzare Adventure, Bleach, Busou Renkin, various other things.

What does Tarot have to do with it? Not much currently, mostly just using a Tarot Motif.

Any questions / comments would be helpful!

Catelf

How much is the "Tarot" influences in the Game?
If it is only the Suit-based Basic Attributes, then i think it is not enough to call it "Tarot".
..... Do you include Cards as Play Props?
If not yet, i'd suggest you do: One card for each Attribute & Value of it, to begin with, so when a Player pick 2, then those cards are actually picked and laid out before him/her.
To begin with, a few regular Poker Decks will do(leave out any Jokers, or let them represent other things), but cover them with card sheets with a coloured backside. This do not affect the Rules, but it cat clearly increase the "Tarot" Feel.
This can be elaborated further, but i don't know enough of the Rules to do so right now.
Best wishes,
                          Catelf.

Mr. Mister

Yeah, I must agree with Catelf, sadly. I does seem like a name other than Tarot would suit it (pun!), "Core" would even do.
But, that said, it sounds fun. If I've read your post correctly, the cores absorb memories, emotions, informaton ect and then hatch into them. So you could have a core "made of" loyalty, knight armour, wind & shaped like a dog melded with a high school kid, right? Ha.
Have you read anything about the game Geist: The Sin-Eater? From what I've heard it has some similiar features.

chance.thirteen

Might want to look in the direction of archetypes as a possible name for the game, since this is what the cores are about. Tarot deals in achetypes as well, but without a card connection may be better to adjust a little.

Catelf

I'm quite good at names. (Sadly, i think "Core" may be occupied....)
But "Core Fall", "Core Wars"(..maybe not...), "Cores of Fate", .... hmmm.... "Cores!" might work. Including the (!)
What about "Tarot"?, you may ask.
Keep the Name, but save it for another Setting, that is more based on the Theme of Tarot (cards)!
(We may be missing something here, What does the Word "Tarot" Really mean?)

Toneblind

Quote from: Catelf on November 04, 2009, 04:42:06 AM
(We may be missing something here, What does the Word "Tarot" Really mean?)
[From Wikipedia]

The English and French word tarot derives from the Italian tarocchi, which has no known origin or etymology. One theory relates the name "tarot" to the Taro River in northern Italy, near Parma; the game seems to have originated in northern Italy, in Milan or Bologna.[4] Other writers believe it comes from the Arabic word turuq, related to "tariq" which means "way".[5] Alternatively, it may be from the Arabic tarach,[6] "reject". According to a French etymology, the Italian tarocco derived from tara:[7] "devaluation of a merchandise; deduction, the act of deducting".

Catelf

This is what i meant: I truthfully think that "Way" is the most probable, since the Tarot Cards is supposed to show the way, both what was, what is, and what will be.
Why i asked? I Definitely assumed that it was the Cards that were intended.....
but maybe those don't have to play as great part in the Game as i thought....
I stand corrected (at least somewhat).
.............    (Silent)