News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

TAROT: Attributes take 2

Started by 7VII7, October 12, 2009, 10:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7VII7

Previously in Tarot: http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=28832.0

Ok, Attributes, like in most games they represent your basic abilities but in TAROT they're a bit more specific, I suppose, then in other games, first off they're divided into the four tarot suits each of which links together different types of attributes, they are:

PENTACLE: Physical Attributes

Strength: Pure physical strength, it's been said a thousand times but it's true.

Constitution: Also said a thousand times, in TAROT it's how good you are at resisting fatigue mostly and damage secondly

Agility: How good you are at moving around

Speed: How fast you are at moving around

CUP: Social Attributes

Prestige: How high you rank on the social ladder, a comander would have higher prestige then a foot souldier

Presence: How powerful a presence you have

Understanding: How well you are at emphasizing with others

Bravery: The ability to do what you're afraid of despite being afraid.

ROD: Power Attributes

Flare: How much pure power you can muster

Control: How good you are at controlling your power

Utility: How good you are at using your powers for things they aren't normally used for.

Potential: How much your power can grow

SWORDS: Mental Attributes

Analysis: How good you are at figuring out other's attacks

Craft: How good you are at making / using various devices

Experience: How much formal training you have in fighting

Will: How strong your will is to work through pain and fatigue.

Okay, so, is there anything that doesn't make sense? Is there anything redunadent? Do you have any suggestions for other attributes? Is an attribute in the wrong category? Any other questions / comments would be a help.

Anders Gabrielsson

It depends on how you want to match the attributes to the suits. From a purely symbolic perspective, I'd make the following changes (ignoring the number of attributes per suit for the moment):

* Presence to Rods. This type of outward, active ability fits better there IMO.

* Utility to Swords. This type of creativity seems better fit for the cerebral suit in my view.

* Craft to Pentacles. Practical skills should be in Pentacles, which is associated with all things physical.

* Will to Rods. Rods is will, pretty much.

Catelf

I both agree and disagree with you, Anders. I mostly disagree:
Rods is NOT Will.
Sure, in many cases, Power is the same as Will, but in at least just as many, Will is independent of Power, for instance, Concentration vis not the same as Ki, Magic points is not what you use(normally) to avoid getting terrified, and so on.
The only thing i directly agree with, is that one can move Utility to Swords.
However, if doing so, there would become a gap in Rod, and one Attribute too much in Swords.
I currently have no answer to fixing this unbalance, and do not consider it a major transgression against the official symbolics to keep it as it is, so i'd say:
WOW! Go with it!
                             Catelf.

Anders Gabrielsson

I've never seen rods/wands identified with power, but perhaps identifying it so closely with will as I do is a Crowleyan vice.