News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Horror RPG

Started by Seamus, October 14, 2009, 02:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seamus

About to design a Horror RPG for our Network setting (there is a little on it at my website: Bedrockgames.net). All I know is I want to do modern horror in the style of film (not literature). Want it to be as generic as possible, so people can run vampires one night, and alien body snatchers the next. Beyond that I have nothing. Before going forward I am trying to get a sense of what has already been done in this area, and not sure how to go about tracking down lists of established Modern Horror RPGs. The RPG website has about 9000 horror games listed (though most of that is supps.). Anyone know where I can find a list on the net of horror RPGs? Also interested in what people think has been done to death, what has been done but not well, and what hasn't been done at all.   
Bedrock Games
President
BEDROCK GAMES

Catelf

Curious:
Are the players intended to play Humans vs the Monsters, or the Monsters themselves?
In Classic Horror "you" are Human, but it almost soun like you want the players to play the Monsters?

Seamus

Players are the humans in this one.
Bedrock Games
President
BEDROCK GAMES

Joshua A.C. Newman

Seamus,

Some recommendations for play:

• Dread uses a Jenga tower to represent encroaching demise. It's not a flawless game, but it's indeed good at raising suspense. I find the prep and GM rules lacking, but I love what it does.
  • The Mountain Witch is very good at having external pressures (often monsters) provide pressure for the characters to turn on each other.
  • Cold City takes The Mountain Witch and tunes its features to be more descriptive. I count it as one of my favorite RPGs because the monstrosity is genuine monstrosity given fantasy color.
  • Sorcerer is pretty Clive Barkery. Characters have very direct relationships with monsters and the characters both need and are needed by their demons

Play those. They're really good games. Jenga, The Mountain Witch, and Cold City can all be played satisfyingly into one to three sessions. Sorcerer takes longer, but might be what you're after. They'll give you a good idea of where other designers have gone and help you figure out where you want to go.
the glyphpress's games are Shock: Social Science Fiction and Under the Bed.

I design books like Dogs in the Vineyard and The Mountain Witch.