News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Adventures in Secondland] Some tweaks and the start of the first draft

Started by Aldoth, October 23, 2009, 09:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aldoth

So it has been three years since i posted this game so I thought that I would repeat the pitch.

This game is a cross between Neverending Story, Labyrinth and Mirrormask. With elements of Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland thrown in for good measure.

In this game you play children that have been stolen into Secondland and are desperatly trying to get home.

It is structured so that the land itself is trying to keep you and with each chapter it is eating a piece of you. You are something that all the inhabitants of Secondland want and the longer you stay in Secondland the more likely that you will loose yourself to the Land.

Will post the first draft of rules tommorow.
There is always a point in your life where you realise that all that you will be is what you leave behind.

So leave the best of you that you can.

Vulpinoid

I love all of those movies, so I'm definitely interested to see where you head with this project.

I'd hasten to add a couple of ideas.

* What is it that these lands want from the characters? Their independence, their creativity, their innocence? Each of these options gives a very different feel and could interplay with your games mechanisms in different ways.

* Remember that in each of these movies, the character becomes less of a threat when they have almost succumbed to the strange land. It's only when they make dramatic moves to get away that their danger escalates.

V
A.K.A. Michael Wenman
Vulpinoid Studios The Eighth Sea now available for as a pdf for $1.

Maugh

This might make for a really neat one-night campaign, especially if you had a pre-built set of rooms and encounters and a real-time time limit. 

My players can be hard to get to focus, so it would be neat to say:  "We're meeting at 6:00.  If you don't get out by midnight, your party loses and your characters die, (or become trapped in horrible ways.)"  I would love to spring this idea on them.

How better to put pressure on the players to focus and get things moving than to give them a 'win or lose,' criteria based on the one night.  This could be a really great campaign, even if applied to other rules.

Catelf

Hello.
How serious is the Game supposed to be, Really?
I mean, i haven't seen Mirrormask, but i've seen both Labyrinth and Neverending Story(1 AND 2, of course).
In Labyrinth, You cannot really be ceartain that she dreamt it all, in the end... either that, or all her toys come alive...
and there is also clearly some joy along the way.
In Neverending Story, i prefer to refer to the Book, by Michael Ende, since it is the original, covers both movies, and it is also far more psychological about Bastians last time in Fantasia, and the "Great Enemy" is "just" a witch that wants to sow discord between Bastian and Atreyu(did i spell it correct?), while the True Enemy in the Book, is Bastians inability to realize that the Book's Symbol is making all his fantasies true in Fantasia, and for each time, he lose more of his Fantasy, and possibly, Himself.
So, the same thing that gives him Power, also takes away his Identity.
Aldoth, if you haven't read it, i suggest you do.

I've also come to think of a Music Video, to Tom Petty's "Don't come around here no more":
In that, a variant of Alice ends up getting chased in a wierd room, to finally getting literally eaten up as some sort of birthday cake!
Looking forward to Your RulesDraft.