News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

GENCON Flyers

Started by Matt Gwinn, August 05, 2002, 08:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Gwinn

I'm trying to work up a Kayfabe flyer for GENCON.

Which do you think is more effective:
 - big pictures with minimal text about the game
 - minimal pictures with lots of text about the game
 - an average of the two

I'm thinking bigger pictures would be more eye catching, but I think in the case of Kayfabe I need to clairify how the game is different and I don't think I can do that well  in a few words.  Hell, I need a paragraph just to explain what Kaayfabe means.

,Matt G.
Kayfabe: The Inside Wrestling Game
On sale now at
www.errantknightgames.com

Jason L Blair

Honestly, I don't think there's any way to qualify a flyer's effectiveness in getting you a sale. For one thing, some people are driven to buy by words and others by images.

My experience is:
At conventions, most people stuff every flyer they can get into their sack and then go through the stack later (if at all). Put some text, put some picture(s), and make sure you give them enough info to get the game (both at the convention and outside the convention). It is my belief that pictures will get the person to pick up the flyer in the first place.

I believe Ron's experience from last year was:
Person picked up a flyer, one of Ron's crew held him down, and Ron repeated his pitch over and over until they gave him money. I think that's how it went, anyway. I've seen pictures that suggested more physical violence was involved.

The Forge booth number is 216 (though it is actually 216, 218, and 220, it will be listed as 216).
Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

Matt Gwinn

I've put two flyer options up on my web site.  You can download the pdf if the jpegs are too small.  here they are

http://www.angelfire.com/games3/errantknight/kayfabe/flyer.html

,Matt G.
On sale now at

Jared A. Sorensen

Quote from: MattGwinnI've put two flyer options up on my web site.  You can download the pdf if the jpegs are too small.  here they are

http://www.angelfire.com/games3/errantknight/kayfabe/flyer.html

,Matt G.

Heyz, Matt.

Nice-looking flyer, but you gotta remember that designing a flyer is a lot like designing a web page. You've got a window of like, 5 seconds to grab the viewer's attention. I like the dudes on the flyer but I look at it and this is what I see:

KAYFABE!!! BIG DUDE! Little Dude. Words.

I don't know what your game is about. Yeah, I would if I read the line under Kayfabe (and the accompanying text), but I didn't.

I like Option 2 but maybe for the back of a 2-sheet -- you need some dudes on the front page that are actually *wrestling*.

Also, and this has been bugging me forever...is it kay-FAY-be, KAY-fabe or something else?
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Ron Edwards

Hi Matt,

I agree with Jared - what you need is a real WWF-style "guys wrestling" image. Or at least scowling at the reader like they do in the wrestling promo billboards.

Best,
Ron

Matt Gwinn

I'll work on doing a 2 sheet.  It won't cost me any more to do a two sided flyer.

QuoteAlso, and this has been bugging me forever...is it kay-FAY-be, KAY-fabe or something else?

It's KAY-fabe

lots of people mispronounce it.  Even some indie wrestlers pronounce it wrong from my experience.  The word is derived from the word fake thus it is pronounced the same way only with a b sound instead of a k.

,Matt G.
On sale now at

Paul Czege

I vote for Option 1. The watermarked art on Option 2 is too subtle. People might not get what the game is about from the title, so you need to feature the art.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Matt Gwinn

i've desided to go with a 2-sheet using the watermarked page as the back side.
I've posted 2 options for the front at the above link.  Unfortunately I don't have a lot of art with guys actually wrestling so I was kind of limited.

I may do a few color versions of the front page t put up on the bulletin boards.

How many copies should I bring?  I've noticed huge piles of fliers that seem to last all weekend, but I don't know if someone comes around and replenishes those periodically.

,Matt G.
On sale now at