News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Should I call my new RPG "Mythology"?

Started by tleeuwenburg@gmail.com, November 02, 2009, 04:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tleeuwenburg@gmail.com

Hi all,

I am working on a new fantasy roleplaying game, and I'm working on getting some early material together. I'm a bit worried about the risk of choosing a crap name, or a name that's already taken by someone else. I thought of "Mythology". Some net searching didn't reveal any existing titles with this exact name.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
-T

(I'm designing a game. www.mythology-rpg.blogspot.com)

Vulpinoid

Sure...why not?

I did a similar search a few years back, looking for a simple title that seemed too easy.

As a result the core system for a game I'm working on is called "Tales".

People seem to be picking obscure names and complicated names for their own sake, if you want to keep it memorable, keep it simple.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

V
A.K.A. Michael Wenman
Vulpinoid Studios The Eighth Sea now available for as a pdf for $1.

chance.thirteen

As long as the name reflects something about the game, sounds good.

EG, perhaps it is about the gods and creatures of one or more claissic mythologies. Perhaps it is about rising to be comes a new pantheon. Perhaps it is about creating or deconstructing modern mythologies internally and externally while changing the world.

Catelf

As long as the name reflects at least 50% of, a Really Important Place in, or a Really Important "Historical Event" in the World/Setting, i'd say!
One of my own ideas, with a great name, i think, i have constantly laid on "ice" because i felt the Setting i intended, went too far away from the Name.....       So, now i've finally decided to Change its intended Setting, so it suits the Name far better!

Consider: Calling a Game "Spaceships of planet Nexus", and then letting the Setting be Cyberpunk-like stories on a planet called "Nexus"?
No, i do not think that would be a good idea....

"Mythology". Great name, can you match it ?

tleeuwenburg@gmail.com

Thanks everyone to their replies. I've been reading them, but the forums have been up and down a lot, and I have not been able to reply! Thank you very very much for your involvement! I really appreciate it.

Ninja Dave

tleeuwenburg@gmail.com

Yeah, it is kinda cliche, but I'm happy to wear that one. I appreciate the comment, but I guess I am happy to be thought of as a bit cliched in some regards.

Cheers,
-T