News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[MLWM] Hammering Doubt

Started by il mietitore, November 12, 2009, 01:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

il mietitore

Hi to everyone, i'm Alex "il mietitore" from Italy ("il mietitore" means "the reaper", in italian. Yeah, it's trash and silly, but I invented it when i was noob, and i kept it until now...).

Excuse me if my english is not error-free, but I'll try to do my best.

Now, let's go straight to the point: here in Pizzaland has raisen an interisting matter that we think only Paul Czege, here, can solve.

The matter is: the title of the game "My Life With Master", is a sort of reference to the relationship between Players and Master inside the System-0?

It can appear a useless question, but we have been talking about that for days, and it's time to have a definitive and supreme answer ;)

Gabba Gabba Hey!

miet

Moreno R.

Hi!

Alex is using in his post some rpg jargon used in some Italian forums, that is not used here. "System-0" or "system zero" is simply the system used when the GM make full use of the so-called "rule zero", and so he/she can fudge rolls, change rules at whim, etc. The subtext is that no matter the name of the rpg manual you have on the table, the system you use is always the same, "the GM decide".

Ciao,
Moreno.

(Excuse my errors, English is not my native language. I'm Italian.)

Noclue

So, do I understand the question correctly to be "is MLWM making a social commentary on the power dynamic that can exist between players and GM?"
James R.

il mietitore

I refer in particular to the traditional way of playing, but yes, that is the question :)

Paul Czege

Hi,

I intended no meta level commentary about rule or GMing dynamics with the title.

There had been some conversation on The Forge about covers (like the first edition of Unknown Armies, and the first edition of Over the Edge) that appeal more to prospective GMs than players, and covers (like Sorcerer, and D&D4e core book covers) that try to inspire the player's "I want to play that dude" reaction. For My Life with Master I wanted a title and cover art that captured prospective players in the thought and emotional context of the player character in the game.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

il mietitore

Now italians can sleep better. Thanks for the answer ;)