News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

High-Low D6 System. Been done before?

Started by shaninator, November 18, 2009, 12:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaninator

Hey guys. I've searched the forums, so I apologize if this has been another topic. I have simple question...is there a published system that uses pools of dice (d6) to score successes like Shadowrun or WoD, but successes are determined by how high or low the value is. 1,2, and 3s are low, and 4,5, and 6s are "high". High values are calculated as successes. Is there a system that does this as its main mechanic? I've been scouring, but I haven't found one.

tleeuwenburg@gmail.com

Well, if it's 1,2,3 vs 4,5,6 then statistically speaking it's no different to coin-tosses or odds-vs-evens. I've played games like that run by others, but I'm not sure what rules they were using, so that's not much help...

(I'm designing a game. www.mythology-rpg.blogspot.com)

lumpley

Shaninator: Sure. The Riddle of Steel is one. My game Poison'd is another. I can't imagine they're the only two, I'll bet there are at least 10 more.

I recommend that you use it if it's what your game calls for. I don't recommend that you go looking for some other mechanism just because this one has "been done."

-Vincent

shaninator

My only concern was fear of being sued. It seems like every time I think of something its done before, or the math doesn't work out right. There is so many games I've just never heard I guess. Can a company copyright these types of mechanics? I don't know how most of that works yet. Is it a valid concern?

Rikiji

As long as you're not deliberately trying to copy somebody else's IP, I would never consider fear of being sued to be a valid concern. 

That said, if it really bothers you, ask a lawyer.  He'll probably tell you it's something that can't be trademarked (and copyright really doesn't apply in these situations). 

shaninator

Thanks for all the help, guys! You've provided a lot of input!

Vulpinoid

I'm using this as a base system for Quincunx.

1 - 3 = failure
4 - 6 = success

Natural 1 has an added penalty (depending on the situation)
Natural 6 has an added bonus (depending on the situation)

Characters get +1 to dice values for certain bonuses.
They get -1 to dice values for injuries and penalties (cumulative to the point that three degrees of injury gives a character no chance of rolling 4 or higher and therefore knocks them out of a scene.)

That's about as complex as it gets.

V
A.K.A. Michael Wenman
Vulpinoid Studios The Eighth Sea now available for as a pdf for $1.

Quizoid

I believe Steal Away Jordan uses this system.  I wouldn't say it's unique or complex enough to worry about stealing anything. 

If you count systems that do the same thing but just count successes in different halves, then you add many games, even the board games Risk and Arkham Horror. 

If you count systems that add "exploding sixes," you can put in Chaos in the World. 
"Theory is very important because your theory ultimately determines what you can see." - Albert Einstein