News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Which proficiencies existed in Britain between 200AD & 8

Started by ShaneNINE, August 02, 2002, 10:30:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShaneNINE

My campaign setting is based on dark ages britain, roughly between 200AD and 800AD. It's NOT set in Britain, just modelled after the Celt/Saxon time period - anyone read Katherine Kerr's Deverry books? My campaign is based on that setting.

So I'm wondering which proficiencies existed during that time period. I already have a good idea of what weapons and armors were around so I can hazard a guess:

Sword & Shield
Mass & Shield
Greatsword/Longsword
Dagger
Polearm (mostly for spear)

Not sure about Doppelhander or Poleaxe, though.

I'm also pretty sure crossbows weren't in much use during this time in Britain, but I'm not sure. Anyone know?
::: Shane

Valamir

Well, I'd start by narrowing down the date range.  There's a noticeable difference between 200 and 400 (Roman Occupation) and 400 and 800.  The replacement of the "Romano British" ("Romanized Celts") by successive invasions of Angles, Saxons, and Jutes.

So if your looking for the Celt/Saxon angle you're talking post 410AD.

I'd also recommend checking out web sites like
http://www.winwaed.com/history/winwaed/winwaed.html

Winwaed is a key Anglo-Saxon battle in the mid 600s which basically set the course for Anglo Saxon British history for the nex 400 years.  It established Northumberland as the leading AngloSaxon kingdom and laid the ground work for the acceptance of catholicism on the isle.

I realise that the exact details of the battle and background aren't what you want, but the kind of issues involved, and the way the battle was fought should give you a good bit of ideas on proficiencies as well as some suitable SAs.

ShaneNINE

Yes, after the Romans left. Wasn't sure about the dates...

Lyrax

Pikes and doppelhanders weren't in use (and they are somewhat mutually inclusive in history), I know that.  Poleaxes may have been used, but weren't popular due to the dependence upon shields.  Shields were depended on for reasons that become painfully obvious to anybody who plays around with them for a few minutes; they worked.  Therefore, pretty much everyone should either use spears, long spears, etc. or should use a shield.  Some longsword/greatsword stuff (almost entirely on the part of the celts), but a lot of shield stuff, too.
Lance Meibos
Insanity takes it's toll.  Please have exact change ready.

Get him quick!  He's still got 42 hit points left!

Jaif

Color me silly, but I suspect they wrestled and brawled, too. :-)

-Jeff

Jake Norwood

There was *no* Greatsword, longsword, rapier, C&T, or doppehander. Polearms were limited. Poleaxes existed. Hand axes and shorter swords (of the "arming" variety) were common.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

ShaneNINE