News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Layout suggestion

Started by Chade, July 31, 2002, 09:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chade

Hi,
I just picked up the Riddle of Steel, and I have to say I like it!

One suggestion...already noted at RPGNet, is that you remove the swords from the background in the appendix. The notes there are extremely hard to read.
Chade
Chade

Jake Norwood

Glad to hear that you like it. Sorry about the swords (they're much better in the second printing), but it's way too late to change anything now! On the other hand, there's always a 3rd printing...

Where did you get it, and how did you come accross it?

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Chade

I first heard about it over on RPGNet. The reviews piqued my interest, as I have been largely disappointed by most combat systems. I ordered it online from a RPG shop.
I've only been skimming through, reading bits that catch my eye so far. I like how you did the combat. The guesswork required in choosing if you attack, defend, or circle is pretty cool. The mechanic seems a bit clumsy. I am considering using cards with the option printed on them, which would be revealed at the same time. I like how you use a lot of historically accurate styles (well, at least accurate from what we can guess from a couple handbooks ;>). All's I can say is that Sword and Shield should kick the crap out of everything else! Haven't playtested this yet, but it seems to hold true in the few reenactments I have attended. I personally tend to stick to single sword, since I've had Escrima for a few years. Shields used by someone in the know will cause a lot of problems for someone without one. Does this work out this way in the rules?
Chade

Brian Leybourne

INJNDIPHOTV, but...

If you're talking about 2 fighters with equal stats and proficiency, but one has a shield and the other dies not then yes, I would say the advantage goes to the shield guy. Not only does he have access to moves such as sim block/strike, block open & strike and Bind & strike, but blocking is a lot easier than parrying.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Lance D. Allen

I can vouch for the advantage that shieldmen have. I ran a quick duel prior to the actual one-shot game between two of the PCs, one of whom was fighting morningstar and shield, and the other was fighting greatsword. I don't think the greatsworder landed a single hit. Once the shieldman got the initiative, he pressed to the greatsworder and never let up.

...y'know, now that I think about it, my one time fighting bastard sword against a sword and shieldman, it went a lot like that, too....
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Chade

Jake,
Ya had me fooled there for a bit. Now that I've read through the book, it IS the revised edition. And yes, those swords are hard to read through. Honestly, I don't think pictures of any type should ever be behind text that is important to the game.
Chade

Jaif

I'd like to empasize that shields are a very big deal in this system.  You'll find that short sword and shield is a very, very potent combo.  That's something I haven't seen in *any* other game.

-Jeff

Mokkurkalfe

I find the sim. block/strike maneuver really useful.
As soon as an opponent "undercommits" himself(don't know it thats the proper word)
one just block that blow and strike. This is even more useful with a flail or morningstar,
because of the +4 BL. After three lvl 1 wounds your BL level will be twelve(heehee).
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

Jake Norwood

Quote from: ChadeJake,
Ya had me fooled there for a bit. Now that I've read through the book, it IS the revised edition. And yes, those swords are hard to read through. Honestly, I don't think pictures of any type should ever be behind text that is important to the game.

I never said that it wasn't hard to read in the new edition. I asked about when and where 'cause I'm trying to see where people are hearing about/getting the game. Sorry for the confusion.

As for the weapons obscuring stuff--it's not that much, really. I agree that it's irritating, but as I said, I can't fix it, nor could I have. We did our best between editions (if you think it's bad in the revised printing, you should see the first printing!), but it is what it is. If there's enough interest, I could try to get the text w/o the weapons up on the website. If there is ever a 3rd printing then we'll remove it entirely.

Sorry you're unhappy about that page (and its really only one page of vital info). Wish I could help--really--ask anyone around here and you'll find I do my best to make stuff "right." Sometimes it't out of my reach, though. This is one of those times.

Hope you enjoy the game and can read the stuff well enough regardless.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Chade

Hmm,
Maybe I came off a bit stronger than I meant to. Basically, I was just pointing out that if a new edition is done, you should consider removing the swords. It's also for future products (oo, can't wait for the bestiary).
Heck, a few swords don't mean you haven't put out one of the best rpg's I've seen :>.
Any chance a book on Weyrth will be coming after the weapons book? I'm actually more interested in that than the fey or more combat stuff.
Chade