News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Sorcerer] Solaris

Started by CedricP, March 03, 2010, 07:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CedricP

I am working on a Sorcerer setting and I want to use to use some elements from Solaris (the Stanisław Lem novel or the Tarkovsky movie).

About the "passer demons" in Solaris, their need would be to stay (at all cost) in their binding sorcerer sight.
But what about their desire? I have a hard time to find a single word descriptor that would fit. Enacting the repressed thoughts and memories they represent? But this is way too vague. Maybe they desire that their sorcerer care about them or about what they feel?
(I am not looking for something that exactly transcribe the Solaris fiction, but for something that would be interesting in a Sorcerer game.) 

Note, that I consider that near the end of the movie, Hari, the dead wife, become human (as in Soul & Sorcery) once she understand (or accept) that she is a construct.

I don't know if this is related to my question, but for my setting, I want to stress out that the sorcerers have to keep reminding themselves that those demons are not humans, not doing so could be (would be) dangerous.

CedricP

Sorry, I was thinking about them as a uniform set of demons who all share the same desire, but I realize now that each one of them should probably have their own specific desire. It could simply be a desire linked to memory that created them.

Ron Edwards

Hi Cedric,

I think you've answered your own question pretty well.

As a possible modifying option, one thing I did with a modern necromancy game of Sorcerer was to decree that all demons would have Corruption as a Desire in addition, or rather, in combination with another Desire if that's what the player wanted.

Best, Ron