News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Something I just noticed....

Started by jburneko, August 02, 2002, 05:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jburneko

Hello,

In the Reunion Demo and all the scenarios (I think) in Sorcerer's Soul the "villain" at the heart of each Scenario is always a demon.  Usually a demon who's master is dead so that it is free to operate on it's own.  Erm... Why is that?

Sure, the other characters are all up to morally questionable things and the demon is preying on those elements to achieve it's own ends but why are there no HUMANS as the central antagonists to these backstories/relationship maps?

Where are all the SORCERERs (or even NON-Sorcerers) with the malicious intents and who are merely using their demons as means to an end?

I have my own thoughts but I'd like to what Ron and others have to say.

Jesse

Uncle Dark

Jesse,

Funny, but I didn't think about it that way until you mentioned it.  In my own games (all two of them), I've used demons as major characters, but always as tools or embodiments (willing or unwilling) of human desire.

One thing about demons who survive their masters, though, is that they're a handy metaphor for how the repurcussions of an individual's act can persist beyond that individual's life, in ways they never envisioned.

Lon
Reality is what you can get away with.

Ron Edwards

Hi Jesse,

I guess it just reflects what was on my mind at the time, creatively speaking, and as Lon says, it's consistent with the idea that actions and emotions have repercussions beyond the immediate concerns and even lives of the people involved. That's a big deal in the source literature.

On the other hand, the scenarios may not be as similar as you put it. I see Michele as the key to the Tome scenario (as opposed to the demon Celine), and Leopold in the Pool scenario is a necromancer-lich - yes, a demon, but actually the perpetrator-person himself rather than a demon "left over." Only Lukos in the Dupes scenario really fits the mold to a T, although I do see the similarity you mention to a degree.

My Demon Cops scenario, Sisters, is far more oriented toward people as villains - and the two in that scenario aren't even sorcerers.

Best,
Ron