Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 03:48:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.
Search:     Advanced search
275647 Posts in 27717 Topics by 4283 Members Latest Member: - otto Most online today: 60 - most online ever: 429 (November 03, 2007, 04:35:43 AM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sex & Sorcery and Houses of the Blooded LARP  (Read 1254 times)
jburneko

« on: February 23, 2010, 12:27:38 PM »

greyorm

My name is Raven.

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 01:53:39 PM »

This sounds like every Vampire/WOD LARP I've ever seen or heard of, Jesse. (And is one of the reasons I generally dislike LARPing.)

Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio
jburneko

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 02:07:02 PM »

This sounds like every Vampire/WOD LARP I've ever seen or heard of, Jesse. (And is one of the reasons I generally dislike LARPing.)

Which another point of my confusion.  John speaks so disparagingly of Vampire LARPs and believes that Houses of the Blooded is a fix.   But what exactly does John think he's fixing?

That's why I think Sex & Sorcery is so ridiculously relevant.  Houses removes certain tools that a lot of Vampire LARPers resort to but doesn't actually address the real social causes of the problems.  It's like he treated the symptoms and not the disease.

Jesse
Roger

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 03:49:53 PM »

I think the thing to keep in mind about the discussion of functional and dysfunctional groups on pages 10-11 is that it's a group analysis -- it's looking at the system as a whole.

The experience for individuals within that group can vary, though.  A dysfunctional group is probably functioning for at least one person in it, if the group dynamic persists for any length of time.

Slavery is a dysfunctional economic system, right?  But if you're a slave owner, it's functioning pretty well for you.  Same sort of deal with Scientology and lots of other things.  They're rackets, but if you can get inside the racket, there's a good chance you can get what you need out of it.

I don't mean to be quite so hard on the benefactors of such systems.  I think they run the gamut from evil mastermind to quasi-altruistic dictator to naive schmuck.

And I don't mean to be quite so soft on the proletariat, either.  Some people buy into pyramid schemes in full awareness of what they're getting into, for their own reasons.  Other people experience something like a learned helplessness, or they're just clueless.

And I've probably implied that it's easy to distinguish between the two when in many cases it's not.  Sometimes figuring out who the victim is takes a long time.  Don't leap to any conclusions, I guess is what I'm saying. 

Or I could be completely misjudging the situation.  If it sounds like I'm talking out of my ear, I probably am.

Cheers,
Roger
The Dragon Master

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 05:06:32 PM »

I haven't had a chance to read Sex & Sorcery yet, so I can't really comment on the possible connections, but I did want to comment on the "favored characters" bit. I've heard that from a number of people who've been to the game, both those who only were at one session and those who have been going from the very first playtest. I've found a list of about 5 players at the LARP who tend to get lumped into that category, 4 of whom are actually members of Johns gaming group, and game with him between 2 and 4 times per week in addition to their interactions on the forums, by email, and in general social gatherings. The fifth? He's dating one of the other four.

My theory as to why this is happening is that while most people at the LARP probably only think about it the day of, these 5 people talk about it (costumes, true things, "what my character did", "what character I'm playing next time", etc.) several times throughout the week. The lack of communication between players at the LARP isn't an issue for them because they've done all their communicating in the month between LARPs.

I was there during the playtesting of this LARP, I've heard John go at length about why he designed it. He wanted (so he has said) to create a LARP that isn't subject to the social issues that come up in a Vampire LARP. What he's ended up with, in my opinion, is a game that avoids those issues based in rules, while not addressing the base social issues that cause them in the first place.

I'm waiting to make a final judgement till I get to try a session or three of it that neither John, nor any of the favored five are participants in before writing the system off entirely, but the tightknit structure that encompasses all of the "staff" and several of the players there definitely isn't something I'm interested in being part of. It almost feels as though they are there to play their game, and all the other attendees are simply there to act as background for the story of their characters. For now I'm assuming this is merely my own misinterpretation of things though.

"You get what everone gets. You get a lifetime." -Death of the Endless
The names Tony

Sorcerer Workshop, Phoenix Comicon, May 27th - 30th 2010
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: