Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 08:24:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.
Search:     Advanced search
275647 Posts in 27717 Topics by 4283 Members Latest Member: - otto Most online today: 57 - most online ever: 429 (November 03, 2007, 04:35:43 AM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Hell for Leather] Blow up the Moon & Bean Sprout Murder!  (Read 1254 times)
Sebastian K. Hickey

« on: February 21, 2010, 02:18:42 PM »

For this week's Grind I'd like to talk a little about the results of a playtest I ran at Itzacon last weekend.

What a bunch of creationizers! The two newbies (Alan and Susan of Conpulsion fame) dished out superlative brilliance. We got to play space anarchists in a world of moon cities and uber-mines. Think of it as Hfl: Ecopunk.

World Building

Setting: Space, heavy machines (a la Aliens), mining facilities
Adversary: The Corporation
Gore Threshold: 5
Connection: "GreenWar," eco-warriors
Drop-Off/Objective: Drifting escape pod / Lunar space lift
Checkpoints: Travel to the Moon, Destroy the mining crater, Get on board the executive Express Lift

Characters

I'm not one to dwell on the characters, but we ended up with some total gold:

<<<<

Gameplay

So much good stuff. How to summarise? Here's how one of the players described it:

Gregor Hutton

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 10:46:17 AM »

Hey Sebastian

Sounds good. When I next catch up with Alan and Jo (I think Joanne is who you meant by Susan, right?) I'll ask them about it. Alan, in particular, is really good for bouncing systems ideas with (most recently for me when I was on the plane home from Cork), while Jo played the other H4L only a couple of weeks before.

I'm particularly interested in your ongoing attempts with die size, circle radius and all that hoopla. It makes me think of Space Fleet from GW all those years ago and the art of dropping dice into a cardboard box. We got highly skilled at it after a while!

Sebastian K. Hickey

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 08:39:13 AM »

Yes, I meant Joanne. Something wrong with my naming-cortex.

As for the hoopla, I think I've got it figured out. The die size is determined by the sturdiness of the playing table (start at 12mm for a solid table, or try 16mm for a wobbly one). User discretion.  The circle radius is larger than before (with optional "expert" level). 95mm I think.

This all works assuming you use the "right technique." I'm going to film a "technique" video this week, which I'll pop onto the website in late March/early April. I think you can get very good at the die tossing. You can get good at tossing anything if you do it enough (ooh er!).

I found Alan a deep thinker. He brought me onto the topic of PvP and PvE, and the discomfort that some players have with the former, and how to alleviate it. Very interesting guy, with lots of experience and enthusiasm. It was great to see him free-form with the story. However, I have to say that I thought, on the day, Joanne showed us all up with her crafty, tangential storytelling and imagery. She has such a great handle on delivering cinematic dialogue.

Sebastian K. Hickey

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 06:32:17 PM »

Check out my 1 minute video tutorial. Ooomph! Sound AND vision!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: