News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

In-Fiction Sexual Exploitation: blarrrrgh

Started by James_Nostack, March 07, 2010, 01:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel B

I'm not convinced. Maybe this has been brought to light already but I don't think so. Yes, we all have unspoken boundaries, and yes, it's important to recognize we can't necessarily predict those boundaries in other people or even ourselves. Conversely, does that imply someone cannot choose to be a dick, no matter what?? Of course not!!

Some people do it because they enjoy it. Maybe James could have handled the situation better by clearly stating his objections instead of trying to just put up with it, but then again, none of us were there. It's just as plausible that the Earwig guy was .. being a dick! In this hypothetical case, objection-raising is really beside the point, isn't it? It might have stopped him from being a dick outwardly, but it wouldn't have cleared up miscommunications because there wouldn't have been any.

Dicks. Face it; they're out there.
Arthur: "It's times like these that make me wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was little."
Ford: "Why? What did she tell you?"
Arthur: "I don't know. I didn't listen."

David Berg

Whoa.  James, that blows.  Pardon me coming way late to the party, and not having read every single post; I just wanted to say how I've handled dickish behavior through the fiction:

Webcam Player: Earwig will save Psychic's life, but only if Psychic makes Girl get naked!

Me: Oh!  So Earwig's not just a mischievous boor?  He's actually a sex-fiend sociopath?  Coercing a dying guy to humiliate his female coworker?  Wow.

Webcam Player: Huh huh huh.  I just want to see her tits.

Me: You realize this makes you a way more hate-able villain than anyone we've fought, right?  Like, Earwig must die.

Webcam Player: Ha ha, kill me if you can!

So that's the version where the group acknowledges the scumbag character, and the consequences thereof, without going so far as to call the player a scumbag.  It's not ideal, but it's socially convenient, and there's always the hope that it goes like this instead:

Webcam Player: Earwig will save Psychic's life, but only if Psychic makes Girl get naked!

Me: Oh!  So Earwig's not just a mischevious boor?  He's actually a sex-fiend sociopath?  Coercing a dying guy to humiliate his female coworker?  Wow.

Webcam Player: Okay, okay, Earwig doesn't demand it.  He just says, "If you're looking for a way to thank me..."  But, y'know, he's just joking.
here's my blog, discussing Delve, my game in development

Ron Edwards

I'm thinking this thread has been there and done what it can, and now it's time to spawn daughter threads if anyone wants to contribute further. James, let me know if you would like this one to continue (and about what). Everyone else, it's closed unless James says otherwise.

Best, Ron

James_Nostack

No, I'm okay with letting this one die.  I feel like we're retreading the same ground.
--Stack