News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Last-MInute GenCon Advice

Started by Michael Hopcroft, August 05, 2002, 04:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Hopcroft

This year's genCon will the the first time I run a booth at a convention. It will be 26 hours before I leave to go to SeaTac airport and fly to Milwaukee.

Does anyone have any last-minute advice (bearing that I cannot be reached after 3:00am PDT on August 6) they can give me about the practical aspects of selling games at GenCon? About maintaining a booth and maintaining oneself at a booth? About how to find time for such important things as lunch when there are sales to be made during that time?
Michael Hopcroft Press: Where you go when you want something unique!
http:/www.mphpress.com

Matt Gwinn

Don't get bummed out if your game doesn't sell well on the first day (or second for that matter).  As soon as people start seeing that depressed look in your eye they'll walk right past you.

Stay positive, upbeat and raring to go, no matter what.  If people see that you're excited about your game and you can convey that excitement to them they will buy your game.  

Negative energy results in a negative outcome.  
Positive energy results in a positive outcome.

,Matt G.
Kayfabe: The Inside Wrestling Game
On sale now at
www.errantknightgames.com

GreatWolf

Bring snacks, if you can.

Seriously.

Selling your game is hard work.  At my first convention I got the shakes really bad because I only ate a little cottage cheese all day.  Now I make sure that I have a supply of food to keep my blood sugar high.  A shaking, twitching salesman won't sell much, and you're more likely to fall prone to depression if you don't have any energy.

Seth
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown

Mike Holmes

Relax and have fun. This is supposed to be a lesiure industry. Just becuase you're selling a game doesn't mean that you can't have any fun.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Ron Edwards

Hi Michael,

I suggest taking breaks. I worked the booth last year almost constantly, taking (I think) one lunch break over the four days. I was so wiped out at the end of each day that I couldn't go to any of the fun nightclubs, or parties, or industry get-togethers.

One does not "miss" sales during breaks. Instead, one has a higher sales rate during the on-times, and a longer staying power for the con in general.

Best,
Ron