News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

SOS Dogfight

Started by GregStolze, March 18, 2010, 01:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregStolze

I think I've got an OK idea for how to run a one-on-one duel in the skies.  I've PDFed it for convenience.

http://www.gregstolze.com/SOSDogfight.pdf

Anyone wanna tell me what you think?

-G.

Locke

I'm not a big fan of using a standard deck and it seems you have rules about cutting the size and such.  Could you make a non-standard deck?  I think it would be easier to track b/c you have 16 specialty cards and tracking the abilities or cross ref could be a problem.

The mechanic seems fine though and i like the idea that it can be added on to an existing system.  Star Wars saga has a "decent" space combat system and i am working on one myself.  Also there was a card game called mag-blast that you might find interesting.  I'll re read when i get more time and post some suggestions.
Check out my game Age Past, unique rolling system, in Beta now.  Tell me what you think!
https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B-7APna9ZhHEZmRhNmFmODktOTgxNy00NDllLTk0MjgtMjI4YzJlN2MyNmEw&hl=en

Thanks!
Jeff Mechlinski

contracycle

Seems workable, but I'm not sure it addresses the real difficulties and complexities of introducing this sort of thing into RPG's.

- one-on-one dogfights are pretty rare, even in fiction, and when they do occur they usually do against some other time-specific backdrop.
- where craft are not flown by 1pilot, the rest of the crew have nothing to do and cannot affect the action
- Players often like to trick out spaceships and so on, but small scale modifications seem impossible to represent
- there seems to be very little relation between procedural events and in-game narration, which makes it kinda dull

There are quite a number of solutions to abstracting the combat itself, including my own chase-catch-kill, posted some time back, but none that IMO really allow it to be as meaningful or intuitive an activity as combat on foot.
Impeach the bomber boys:
www.impeachblair.org
www.impeachbush.org

"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."
- Leonardo da Vinci