News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Sorcerer play at GenCon

Started by Ron Edwards, July 30, 2002, 12:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

Hello,

So here's what I'm prepping for the con.

1) The Lincoln High Reunion demo, now blessed with incredible portraits by Rod Anderson. I'd like to run this a couple of times, with people who haven't played or seen it.

2) A short but intense demo based on the In Utero idea. However, I'll be taking it in a very different direction from the suggestions presented in that thread, with one exception.

3) A combat-heavy demo with all-sanzoku characters. I'm getting kind of tired of people not realizing how powerful, fast, and detailed the combat system can be, so I'm designing this one to illustrate that Sorcerer combat outclasses Feng Shui and stands nose-to-nose with The Riddle of Steel.

I hope people realize that not everyone can play in every demo. And no, not everyone can play in the one demo that includes Person X (whoever your Person X happens to be).

The real constraint, though, is that I'll be devoting a lot of time and energy to playing other games, as well as to promoting Adept Press stuff through industry channels.

Best,
Ron

Chade

Argh! One more reason I wish I was at GenCon! Hope everything goes well and that you sell a couple hundred copies of your game :>. Any chance the demos will be posted to the Adept Press page once you run them?
Chade

Ron Edwards

Hi Chade,

Welcome to the Forge! Thanks for the good wishes.

Here are my plans for the demos, long-term. The Lincoln High Reunion one is going to become a bona fide Adept Press publication, with the hope that people will form a kind of Sorcerer Demo Army and play it in stores and cons for quite a while. It probably won't be a free download, but more of a formal, deputizing, You are Now an Adept Press Junior Demon-Demo Person thing.

The In Utero demo is slated to become part of the alleged, possible, in prep but not yet guaranteed Third Sorcerer Supplement. Which is beginning to look more and more possible all the time.

And the sanzoku sword-and-bustup demo is definitely a keeper for the website, although it's probably going to take a little tuning and play-reps before it has enough content. That one will be a free download, probably with lots of examples regarding combat rules.

Best,
Ron

Bailywolf

Ron, any plans for DragonCon?  Its right here in my neck of the woods, and I figured I might go this year...

Hell, is anyone on the FORGE going to be at DragonCon?

Ron Edwards

Hi Benjamin,

No, no plans for me to be at Dragoncon. GAMA, Origins, DemonCon, and GenCon have pretty much fried me for this year.

However! I'll be happy to provide demo materials, as the infamous Lincoln High text is now in pretty complete shape. Wait until after GenCon and I'll be able to send you great pictures and all.

Best,
Ron

Andy Kitkowski

Once you've got #3 written out, hook us up.  I'd love to see how you handle martial arts. If this "sanzoku" idea was from an earlier post on this board or an online article, please direct me (I seem to come back to The Forge in fits and spurts as I write, and probably missed something).

-Andy
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

Ron Edwards

Hi Andy,

The sanzoku are from Chapter 7 in the main Sorcerer rulebook. I originally learned the word from the Tomoe Gozen novels by Jessica Amanda Salmonson, and decided it was hip-Asian enough to adapt to my modern setting. I confess I was watching a hell of a lot of movies starring people like Don Wilson and Cynthia Rothrock at the time. I'll definitely make the GenCon demo available, later.

The martial arts rules I mentioned, though, are entirely different - they currently exist as notes for the putative third supplement.

Best,
Ron

Bailywolf

Any chance to get a playtest look at those rules before they see print?