News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[PIE] A ruleset using pie charts as character sheet

Started by electricshepherd, April 20, 2010, 06:17:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

electricshepherd

First of all, I'm new at the Forge. I've been informed about the Forge through a reddit user's comment. I looked around a bit and this seems to be the best place to post.

Last week I designed a role playing game rule set. It's designed to be lightweight, simple, universal, easily readable and free. It uses pie charts.Three defining characteristics that each character has are called: Physicality, Intellectuality and Emotionality, hence the name: PIE. You may find more detailed rule explanations here [pdf] and the character sheet here. [pdf]

The game is in alpha stage. Never playtested. Any thoughts about the basics, especially the usage of the pie chart to enhance the game enjoyment are welcome.

Baenlynn

Completely out of left field, but it's a great way of representing a character's make-up in a visual format, I can't help but like it. I also like the descriptive freedom given in the naming of the three domains and the choosing of skills. There's a some obvious mirth in the writing style, but it doesn't read particularly clearly in places on the first pass, and I get the feeling at times assumptions are made about things I know. That said it does look like it has the potential to do as promised. I would say from a first reading it is aimed at those experienced with RPGs, as well as those not afraid to contort the system as required. Not a bad thing, because sooner or later most of us are going to try doing that at some point.

Overall it presents strangely well and is different enough to be intriguing at first glance, but could benefit from more editing.

andrew_wright

Hi,

Welcome to the Forge!

The Pie Chart design is one I have witnessed previously, though I can't remember where (years ago). Its interesting, with the potential to both be simple and complex.

Still, I'm a little cautious about a design that can give the players so much freedom. I like descriptions to be short and simple, revealing more and more as the story progresses. That's probably a personal habit, though. :)

What I want to know is what you want to get out of the PIE design? What do you feel it can accomplish that a more typical design can't? Questions like these are (in my opinion) the most important questions you can ask yourself in the preliminary stages of game design.

Cheers!