News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Anyone interested in doing consignment or selling "shelf space" at GenCon Indy?

Started by hoefer, April 10, 2010, 04:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoefer

Alright, here's the "dealio" in a nutshell.  I've got a few RPG products I want to have available for sale at GenCon2010 in Indy.  Last year, I went with the GPA's package, but found it was not a good match for my needs (though the people there were fantastic).  Basically, I will probably only sell a handful of books throughout the course of the convention.  Last year, I barely recouped the cost of the shelf space (I ended up slightly in the red after I paid the state sales tax).  I'm at the early point with most of my products, where turning a profit is not the principle goal, rather getting my product out and recognized is.  That being said, I need to recoup costs to stay in the market long enough to achieve product expansion and eventually profitability.  I spend most of a convention running demos of my games and trying to learn/network, so I've never had much time to be in a booth, doing actual sales.  In fact, my own experience has shown that running demos is the best promotion I can do for the game, afterwards I get a lot of positive feed back and questions over the availability of the game within the exhibitor's hall.

I think what would work best is if I could strike a deal to sell by consignment -The booth owner would take ~1/2 of the cover price and pay me the other half in some yet to be determined manner.  I could provide product a little at a time (checking in each day to what has sold and what hasn't).  I don't predict that my games are going to have huge sales -I'm shooting to move maybe 10 copies between the 3 products I'm hoping to have available.  Basically this would give me a place to send my players after a gaming session when they ask where the games are available at.  In this sense, it could be some good cross-pollination for the booth owner too.

My products include books for my Century's Edge Victorian Era role-playing game, and the book for my Movies Till Dawn game (a pseudo-role-playing game/party game where players take on the personalities of B-movie stars playing hackneyed roles in late-night features).  The content of these games is easily PG, and all the books/materials are shelf-ready -professionally produced.  I live in Lafayette, IN (about an hour from Indy) so I might be able to help out with any sort of set-up/tear-down, storage or transportation needs the booth owner might have as well.  Let me know (either in response or by private message) if you have a booth and are interested in making some form of deal.  Thanks!

Louis Hoefer
Whole Sum Entertainment
www.wholesumentertainment.com