News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

A game idea I've had for a while and an introduction!

Started by smegroll, May 14, 2010, 03:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smegroll

Hey everybody, I'm new to the forum obviously and I wanted to get some input on designing a game around an idea I've had for months now. It's pretty clear to me what the setting will be and what kind of game mechanics I'd like to include. The snag I'm hitting is what kind of system to use; a system that lends itself well to combat, interaction with NPC factions, resource management and base-building.

So I thought I'd ask you, the experienced folk, on your opinions or experience with any games that are similar to the one I have in mind.

Why is a noob to the pnp world wanting to get involve you ask? Well, I'm just getting bored of RPGs that require a computer or whatever (even the classics) because all they seem to be doing is rehashing the same tired tropes we've all seen. So I'd like to take those tropes and create something truly epic and fun to play.

Sorry for my English; I'm Canadian.

Locke

okay sounds cool.  now do it.

I've taken my turn at making a fun, dynamic, and relatively simple system.  So it be cool to see yours.
Check out my game Age Past, unique rolling system, in Beta now.  Tell me what you think!
https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B-7APna9ZhHEZmRhNmFmODktOTgxNy00NDllLTk0MjgtMjI4YzJlN2MyNmEw&hl=en

Thanks!
Jeff Mechlinski

Paul Czege

Quote from: smegroll on May 14, 2010, 03:03:41 PM
The snag I'm hitting is what kind of system to use; a system that lends itself well to combat, interaction with NPC factions, resource management and base-building.

Base-building is an interesting system requirement. By "resource management" do you mean each player managing his character's resources, or more of a team-based collective resource management?

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Jeff Russell

Howdy, and welcome!

I can't think of any RPGs that cover all of the elements you're talking about off the top of my head, but you might consider looking into the strategy board game world for some clever resource management/base building ideas. Some of my absolute favorites are "Settlers of Catan", "Twilight Imperium" and "A Game of Thrones". I'm trying to think of one that specifically features "base building", but I'm having some trouble. The ones I mentioned above all handle resources in a cool way and feature aspects of development. "Settlers of Catan" is especially subtle.

I hope those help some, but I would love to hear more specifically what you have in mind.
Jeff Russell
Blessings of the Dice Gods - My Game Design Blog and home to my first game, The Book of Threes

Paul Czege

Deck creation card games like Arctic Scavengers and Dominion might be good inspiration for base-building mechanics for an RPG.

Paul
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

smegroll

Thanks for the replies!

I had in mind the resource management behind building a base, specifically the resources PCs can find (or fight npcs for) in the game world and how to best utilize their own skills in building and maintaining a base on a very long-term siege situation. NPCs the player finds (hires, recruits, enslaves) in the game world would also be handled as a resource.

With regard to using the resources to benefit the base, I'd rather leave that kind of thing up to the players imagination and their stats rather than increasingly large tech-trees like master of orion or even starcraft.

Callan S.

Hi,

Do you have it in mind that the mechanics dictate an ending? With an endless game either the odds catch up with you eventually and you all die, or death is either just not a real possiblity via mechanics, or it's being plain fudged out by some GM. And adversity is the mother of invention - remove the threat, remove the inventiveness.
Philosopher Gamer
<meaning></meaning>

Paul Czege

Locke

In my system resource management is handled by the character sheet.  every bit of travel gear in the game is listed on the equipment and gear page of the character sheet.  each of these has a "gear vale" attached.  The character based on build has a max limit on gear.  All the player has to do is check off what items he is carrying and total them up.  Its very easy and keeps characters honest with the amount of items they are carrying.  Also it takes size in consideration not just weight like most systems do.  So a character can carry a max of items so they can't overload.  A character for example can only carry 1 polearm and/ or a max of 4 single handed weapons. 

Since its practically impossible for players to track weight of all their character's items, the weight system is essentially NEVER used in any RPG system.  It was an easy fix, just required some thought.

The biggest problem seems to be in that designers seem to have trouble scaling their system for levels and using a rolling system that makes sense.  Others seem to spend a lot of time making a complex attribute to skill systems which combines with the first problem can make a chaotic mix of rules concepts.

The best advice is to make an interaction back and forth form social to combat, then figure out a rule set on how to make it work, then figure out a skill and attribute system to drive it.  I think working backwards is better as it keeps the palate clean and takes all these "great" things that you think will work and places them on hold a bit so you can see if they really will.
Check out my game Age Past, unique rolling system, in Beta now.  Tell me what you think!
https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B-7APna9ZhHEZmRhNmFmODktOTgxNy00NDllLTk0MjgtMjI4YzJlN2MyNmEw&hl=en

Thanks!
Jeff Mechlinski