News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Frazetta

Started by Larry L., May 10, 2010, 07:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry L.

Frank Frazetta passed away this afternoon.

Ron Edwards

I am bummed. Although he'd never heard of me, somehow I'm happy I wrote Naked Went the Gamer before he died.

Best, Ron

Jon Hastings

A bit from Tom Spurgeon's obit that seems like it might resonate with people here:

QuoteComing across his work in the 1960s and 1970s, amid those decades' absolute disconnect from the recent past and outright suspicion of junk culture, was a specific revelation for their being so very little out there like it. Frazetta's work was one of the few consistent, visually accomplished gateways to somewhere else, a way of escape available to a generation of kids that was psychologically preparing to die when someone set the skies on fire. Frazetta's were potent images, strange, of obvious skill and stuffed with conflicting messages. There were the soft women and the more dread, powerful ones. Men faced off against monsters but also nature, and in some cases their own savage impulses. There was light like the light we were used to but also strange colors, light like no one had seen but that Frazetta somehow understood. They weren't inviting fantasies, but formidable ones, foreboding, aspirational rather than something that coddled or flattered you. If you went through the wardrobe into Narnia, events would likely fall into place, and you were pretty sure you could've handled that ring, but if you went to one of the worlds Frazetta painted something was going to eat you or stab you or have your soul. These were fantasies you steeled yourself towards rather than fell into. And so it was with Frank Frazetta's art: it frequently impressed, it almost always inspired.

Joel P. Shempert

I blogged about this.

I encountered Frank Frazetta's art at particular juncture of my life where both my adventurous and sexual imagination were coming into bloom, as it were, and I'm the richer for it. It was a taste of the forbidden and taboo that I wasn't receiving anywhere else in my quaint Baptist little world. And it was the real deal, not like, for instance, the inaugural Image Comics artists, to whom I was also drawn because, you know, boobies, but looking back make me want to throw up.

Thanks, Frank.

Peace,
-Joel

Story by the Throat! Relentlessly pursuing story in roleplaying, art and life.

Joel P. Shempert

Hmm, looking back over this I think I was subconsciously inspired in my blogging by the obit. Probably by "Naked Went the Gamer," too. But that's cool. Just wanted to acknowledge it.
Story by the Throat! Relentlessly pursuing story in roleplaying, art and life.