News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Paladin: Character Gen help

Started by wyrdlyng, August 09, 2002, 05:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wyrdlyng

I understand the concepts behind Character Generation. It's just that I tend to use adjectives to describe a character rather than convert those traits into nouns. It's just an intuitive thing for me. Can folks post some examples of character so I can get a better grip on this?

I've put my example below. Let me know if this looks okay. I put the definitions I'm using after the attributes.

Arden: a large, physically powerful and imposing warrior of the Keepers of Law. (I prefer Law vs Chaos over Good vs Evil.)

Flesh: he derives his strength from his Brawn (muscular strength), is protected by his Resilience (an ability to recover from or adjust easily to misfortune or change) and relates to people through his Presence (the bearing, carriage, or air of a person).

Light: he derives his strength from his Determination (a firmly resolved effort), is protected by his Faith (belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion), and relates to people through his Honesty (fairness and straightforwardness of conduct).

Dark: he derives his strength from his Rage (violent and uncontrolled anger), is protected by his Self-Righteousness (narrow-mindedly moralistic), and relates to others through Intimidation (to compel or deter by or as if by threats).

Arden is a physically powerful warrior with great faith in the rightness of his cause. However, he teeters on the border between faith and fanaticism. (Do the attributes I've chosen illustrate the concept properly?)

Flesh: Brawn 3, Resilience 4, Presence 2
Light: Determination 2, Faith 3, Honesty 1
Dark: Rage 2, Self-Righteousness 1, Intimidation 0

Abilities: Arms (same as in the book), Oration, Tactical Acumen

The Weapon of his order is a perfectly crafted Heavy Mace constructed of an almost unbreakable metal.

Light Animus: 4
Dark Animus: 2

(Again, this is a character sliding close to the edge. Someone struggling to keep from giving into their darker instincts and possibly not being able to succeed alone. I thought that the 4/2 split would show how he's not teetering just yet, 3/3, but is not walking the safe path, 5/1.)

So, does this seem right? Am I understanding the rules correctly?
Alex Hunter
Email | Web

Clinton R. Nixon

Alex,

I have to say, your character looks good to me.

Thinking up original attributes is the hardest thing in Paladin. Character creation is sort of a bitch, to be honest, but I intended it that way - it makes you think hard about what sort of person your character is.

- Clinton
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

wyrdlyng

Coolies, I just wanted to make sure that what I was interpreting things correctly.
Alex Hunter
Email | Web