News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Adding wargame mechanics to my fantasy system

Started by Ar Kayon, May 20, 2010, 01:21:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ar Kayon

Using the logical parameters explained above, I also need to figure out a way to model loss of formation (due to movement speed, terrain, etc.).  As of right now, I have no concept of how to do this.

contracycle

Ar Kayon, what sort of input do you want on this thread?  There are things I could say but they are mostly negative and my reading of your statements suggests youyr pretty committed to this idea.  In which case, I think you shouyld just go ahead with your concept, test it, and see how it works.

let me just say thought that althuogh a lot of texts on topics of how historical battles were conducted are written in a firm and confident style as if we know things certainly, in fact it's a lot less clear.  You mention, for example, push-of-pike, but even there it is disputed that it ever really happened.  Furthermore, I asked you want the PC's were doing and you responded with an explanation of what the players were doing.  I didn't ask about the players, I asked about the characters.  I think you need to review precisaely what function such a wargame has in an RPG; there are many wargame rulesets around and any number of them could be borrowed to represent a conflict inspired by or derived from an RPG in progress, but all of them require that you stop roleplaying and start wargaming.
Impeach the bomber boys:
www.impeachblair.org
www.impeachbush.org

"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."
- Leonardo da Vinci

Ar Kayon

Quote from: contracycle on May 24, 2010, 09:24:47 PM
Ar Kayon, what sort of input do you want on this thread?  There are things I could say but they are mostly negative and my reading of your statements suggests youyr pretty committed to this idea.
Being an open-minded individual usually entails that few of my commitments are iron-clad.  That being said, if I cannot make the war implementation enhance the game in a smooth, elegant manner, then it won't be a part of the game.  The very reason why I present my thoughts to the members so openly is, aside from confirming the better ideas, to counterbalance any hubris I may have towards my designs, and if you have any [well-elaborated] criticisms towards that end, then I welcome them completely.  I won't get defensive about it.
So, whether or not I'm committed to the idea has no influence on how receptive I am to your feedback.  I have altered rules on several occasions based on the feedback from my peers on this forum.

let me just say thought that althuogh a lot of texts on topics of how historical battles were conducted are written in a firm and confident style as if we know things certainly, in fact it's a lot less clear.  You mention, for example, push-of-pike, but even there it is disputed that it ever really happened.
I have to do a lot of research for my game designs, and I too have encountered quite a few contradicting claims.  Therefore, it is important that I read up on various sources, and then use my best judgment to determine what claim to regard in the context of my system.  For example, I was reading today that ancient hoplites attacking each other often had pushing matches after initial contact, but it is disputed because if it was true, then the unit with greater mass would prevail every time.

Furthermore, I asked you want the PC's were doing and you responded with an explanation of what the players were doing.  I didn't ask about the players, I asked about the characters.
I used the two terms interchangeably when responding to your post.  To clarify, the characters will be engaged in combat and will have powers over the flow of battle equivalent to the authoritative powers given to them by their superiors or granted to them by circumstances in-game.  If that doesn't answer your question, then I truly don't understand the context of the question and I would ask you to present it in a more explicit manner.

I think you need to review precisaely what function such a wargame has in an RPG; there are many wargame rulesets around and any number of them could be borrowed to represent a conflict inspired by or derived from an RPG in progress, but all of them require that you stop roleplaying and start wargaming.
I intend for the war mechanics to be a seamless extension of the core mechanics rather than a "plugged in" supplement as Jeff put it.  If it feels like a game rather than immersive simulation, then I have not fulfilled the requirements of my design criteria.

To conclude, warfare is common in this setting.  Many characters are likely to be entangled in such events.  Thus, these events need to be represented in some way.  The design criteria requires that any representations should be consistent to the internal logic of the system, which in turn aims to be as consistent to historical logic as possible (excluding the fantastic elements); that it must be a wargame is not essentially part of my design criteria.