News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Etiquette in this forum

Started by mister.ribbit, May 15, 2005, 01:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mister.ribbit

I read through the Forge etiquette post, but I have a question more specific to this forum.  A fairly large number of posts are simply descriptions of DitV branches, and I was wondering what the policy/etiquette in this forum is on taking those ideas for our own use.  Should we notify the original author, or is it understood that if someone posts something here that others may use it in their own games?  I've seen some pretty juicy things that that I might want to draw on in the future.

Thanks!

Ribbit
Ryan

Eric Provost

I suppose I can only really speak for myself, but I've always assumed that any towns posted here are fair game for use.  I'd expect people to 'steal' from my towns and am not afraid to 'steal' from other towns I see.

When it comes right down to it, if you're going to use a town here that someone didn't want you to use... Well, what are they gonna do about it?  It'd be kinda silly to assume that anything posted here is 'off limits', don'tcha think?

-Eric

lumpley

New policy, everybody:

If you don't want other people to use your towns don't post 'em.

If you've already posted a town you don't want other people to use, PM me and I'll delete it.

Thanks!

-Vincent

hix

The idea of sharing posted towns & branches is a vivid demonstration of how sharing information and networks makes us all richer.
Cheers,
Steve

Gametime: a New Zealand blog about RPGs

Brendan

Excellent point, Steve.  Maybe there should be a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Sharealike license attached around here somewhere?

Mike Holmes

I don't know about that, Brendan. I think he means "use" as in to use them for play, not for publication. Everything written here (unless Vincent does post some liscence like you propose) is protected by copywrite, and probably should stay that way. So that if a town is good enough to publish the author can get rewarded for it in the manner that he negotiates.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.