News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

New forum structure

Started by Clinton R. Nixon, August 13, 2002, 02:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clinton R. Nixon

The forums are being reorganized (as we discussed in New days upon us) in order to accomodate more independent game forums.

The first big change you'll see will be that you'll only see one category of forums at a time. You'll see the main Forge forums, or the independent game forums, or the inactive forums. We've got a new navigation bar to go between these.

We're also alphabetizing the independent game forums. Don't be confused if your favorite forum moves up or down.

Lastly, we're adding a Connections forum. Use this to find artists, playtesters, layout magicians, or a local group - basically, any skills you might need to make your game. This forum will be more heavily moderated than any other on the Forge, though - it's to stay on topic at all times.

If anyone has any suggestions on other things we can do to make the Forge better, let me know.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Valamir

I like it alot, it isn't any harder to view than the old way, just a click instead of a scroll.

Would it be possible to always have the main categories (currently 3) stay on top as the first three slots.

Currently when on the main page the link to the indie page is at the bottom...its not a bad place for it to be, but possible I think keeping it at the top would enhance visiblity.

Paul Czege

I think it's usable.

My request would be for some icon or coloring to tell when there are new posts to the collapsed forums...so when you're looking at the Main Forge Forums, if there's an unread post in the Independent Game Forums, there'd be an icon or something indicating that.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Clinton R. Nixon

Both of these suggestions are possibilities - I'll look into seeing how hard they are to do. I've already coded in a few other things - basically, the forums now know what category you're in, so the navigation at the top of the forum might now say:

Independent Game Forums -> Adept Press

instead of

The Forge Forum Index -> Adept Press
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Russell Hoyle

I like it, but had trouble finding the three 'tabs' at the top of the screen [the main categories] - can they be highlighted in some way?
I imagine a new poster here will miss all the Independant gaming goodness otherwise - its far from obvious!

Regards
Rusty

Ron Edwards

Hello,

I like the forums a lot as of this date (they've changed around a bit throughout the history of this thread). I think if people practice the customary cross-linking to independent forums during discussions in the main threads, that they'll figure things out pretty fast.

Best,
Ron

Paul Czege

Hey Clinton,

I think if people practice the customary cross-linking to independent forums during discussions in the main threads, that they'll figure things out pretty fast.

Will the links people included in historical posts be broken now that the forums have been re-ordered?

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Clinton R. Nixon

Paul,

Nope. Reordering the forums doesn't mess things up, and the new look is just me tweaking some capabilities in the software that have been there all along.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games